We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I stressed for nothing

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
189 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
I stressed for nothing

People that I know had me stressed about how bad Heathrow is, how long it takes to get through customs, and how hard it is to get to your hotel. I got to Heathrow around 9:10pm local time and I was in my room at 10pm. Customs was a breeze, there was no line up and my luggage popped out as soon as I got to the pickup. My only problem was finding a pub to go to. I didn't kinow that they closed 11pm-ish on a weeknight. I made the mistake of grabbing a bite to eat when I should have gone straight to the beer.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,623 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I stressed for nothing

If you had no problems at Heathrow you didn't exit properly. Go back, you must have forgotten a step!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
833 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I stressed for nothing

Ignore jdbri, or better yet, hunt him down and insist that he buy the next round.

Glad to hear of your sweet experience at Heathrow. Mine last month was almost that fast, but some people I took a London Walks excursion with, got stuck in a jammed up Passport Control line for an hour just a day before I was there.

So you never know.

Plan for the worst, and hope for the best. And if possible have a nice beverage later.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,623 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I stressed for nothing

I always seem to find that everywhere in LHR is miles away from where I need to be but I don't find it a difficult airport to navigate.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I stressed for nothing

I dont know about LHR, but a lot of the airport issues depend on time/date and if its a holiday. For instance, Mexico during spring break!!!!

Where was your hotel that you got there so quickly.

Toronto
Level Contributor
189 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I stressed for nothing

I am staying at the Best Western near Bayswater.

california
Level Contributor
792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: I stressed for nothing

That's great. I don't know the fuss as I have never had a problem passing through Heathrow for the pass 20 years except for my last trip in February...remember the snow? We couldn't land and I ended up in Amsterdam.

Maryland
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I stressed for nothing

Wow, that's great to hear! I'm arriving at LHR at 9pm on the 28th and then we're driving down to Margate. I was afraid we might not get in until the wee hours but it sounds like we might be able to arrive by midnight. Cool!

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I stressed for nothing

Don't stay indoors responding to these comments!

I'm not sure where you are actually but there are a couple of pubs nearby you might look at.

(1) There's the Mitre in Craven Terrace, which is good.

(2) There's the Swan, next to Lancaster Gate. Opinion is pretty evenly split about The Swan, because everyone else hates it and I like it. It stays open late on Fridays and Saturdays and usually has live music on those days. In fact on Fridays it's difficult to stop the landlord singing Frank Sinatra songs.

Glad to hear that you had a good experience of Heathrow, but you may have been lucky, and I hope that luck continues for the rest of your stay. Don't forget to buy a copy of Time Out listings magazine.

9. Re: I stressed for nothing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2010, 06:17