We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2012 Olympic venues- anything to see yet?

Kansas City...
1 post
Save Topic
2012 Olympic venues- anything to see yet?

I will be in London at the end of this month and was curious whether there is anything to see yet as far as the venues for the 2012 games. And if there is anything worth seeing (even if it is still under construction) what is the best way to do that-- which tube stations, etc. and how out of the way are the venues (from the city center) and how much time might it take? (My travel companions will probably only go for this if it is a relatively easy jaunt). Thank you in advance for any advice. This forum has been so helpful in planning my trip!

London, England
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2012 Olympic venues- anything to see yet?

Don't think there is an easy way to see anything. It's a massive construction site after all.

If you got the train to Stratford (10 mins) then you can see some of the construction.

If your friends don't want to go send them to Spitalfields and you disappear for a bit.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2012 Olympic venues- anything to see yet?

These free east London walks often go past the Olympic stadium. The walks are on Sundays and I do recommend them for a relaxing stroll. Here's an email I got about it

"See Upcoming http://upcoming.yahoo.com/group/14831/

and

http://bit.ly/The_Netwalking_Club

for info and updates.

* October 11th Limehouse Loop (meet at Victoria Park, start at 1pm)

* October 18th Tesco to Cheshunt (meet at Three Mills, start at 10:30 am)

* October 25th - no walk

* November 1st Three Mills Loop (meet at Three Mills, start at 1pm)

On October 18th "Tesco to Cheshunt" starts at Bromley By Bow Tesco and will finish near Waltham Abbey. We will start at 10:30 am and aim to walk along the River Lea Navigation, and take the train back to Liverpool Street from Cheshunt. Anybody who wants a shorter walk could stop at Lea Bridge Road or Tottenham Hale, for example. We estimate the walk to be about 11 miles. Break for lunch somewhere around Tottenham Lock. We are going to check on the cafe facilities etc."

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,384 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2012 Olympic venues- anything to see yet?

Rather than an Olympic venue, how about a look at something natural and beautiful that is due to be enhanced (sigh) for 2012?

The overground (National Rail) train from Liverpool Street to Tottenham Hale station passes through Hackney Marshes, a lovely area of grassland in the Lee Valley. It's not a commonly visited area but striking for what it is - much green space in a big and busy city.

Unfortunately, some of the East Marsh will be turned into a car park for the Olympic games. The Organising Committee have said that after the games the Marsh will be returned to its natural state, but who knows what the future holds?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,769 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2012 Olympic venues- anything to see yet?

I think the sailing is at Poole harbour. Beautiful area. Trains from Waterloo (South West Trains is the company).

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2012 Olympic venues- anything to see yet?

<< I think the sailing is at Poole Harbour >>

Actually I think its being held in Weymouth, just along the coast from Poole. Its equally scenic but not sure there is anything in the way of purpose built venues to see there though.

As previously mentioned, most of the Olympic venue area in East London is one big building site. Im sure it will be ready on time though ;)

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2012 Olympic venues- anything to see yet?

Fortunately they've not yet dug up Greenwich Park or fecned off the Royal Artillery building in Woolwich.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2012 Olympic venues- anything to see yet?

As people have mentioned, the National Express East Anglia train from Liverpool Street to Stratford goes alongside the southern boundary f the main Olympic Park with a good view of the main Stadium (steelwork and most of the rest of the structure completed). Then catch the London Overground back into town (it onnects with the Victoria Line at Highbury) & Islington). This line actually goes through the development and is close to the aquatic centre for which the distinctive wavy roof s already evident. The big construction site actually by Stratford Station will be a new Westfield Shopping Centre.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2012 Olympic venues- anything to see yet?

Useless fact TP - the marshes are where the first ever plane flew in the UK.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,828 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 2012 Olympic venues- anything to see yet?

You could go to Horese Guards Parade and try and imagine beach volleyball taking place there. Although I imagine Rio in 2016 will be a much better venue for beach volleyball.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2012 Olympic venues- anything to see yet?

You could also take the very short journey on the tube up to St Johns Wood to see Lord's Cricket Ground, a world famous venue in its own right for a long time now and approaching its 200th year soon, it will host the Archery in 2012.

Archery is not the most glamourous sport I know, (and I kind of had a sneaking suspicion that you wanted to see the big stadium!) but Lords is a beautiful and historic stadium close to the centre. You have the option of a quick (and free) 20 min walk around the outside, or you can take a (paid) tour of the inside including the pitch, stands, changing rooms, and the very historic long room. See the second link for tour details.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord's_Cricket_Ground

http://www.lords.org/