We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New too London City Airport

denmark
Level Contributor
123 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
New too London City Airport

I think i have made up my mind about our flights and which airports to use. But some last minute input is wanted.

Travelling with my Wife

I have never used LCY is this a good ide or ? (Inflight Only)

We plan too fly home from LHR.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New too London City Airport

I like City airport - it is very small and you are processed quickly.

It's disadvantage is that the only public transport at LCY is the Docklands Light Railway (DLR). To get to the tube network you have to change at Canary Wharf or Bank.

Where is your hotel?

denmark
Level Contributor
123 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New too London City Airport

We are staying at Farringdon Travelodge.

When we were in london in May we stayed at Tower and used Stansted airport. We have also used LHR a numerous of time I think we will be using that for our depature it feels like it is easier to kill time here

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New too London City Airport

Hmmm. That isn't an easy journey by public transport.

If you are happy to walk for 20 minutes or so, you could take the DLR to Bank, change to the Central line for Chancery Lane station, then walk up Grays Inn Road (and turn off towards Farringdon).

I see the Tfl TJourney Planner (http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk) suggests DLR to Canning Town, change to Jubilee Line to Southwark and then bus from there.

If you are committed to that airport and that hotel, a taxi or pre-booked car service will be a lot easier.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New too London City Airport

Why two different airports? Chances are that will cost substantially more than a return to just one of them.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New too London City Airport

I like City Airport as well. Don't worry about killing time there, check in is only 30 minutes before departure, so you don't have that 2 hour waiting around that you have at Heathrow or Stansted. I agree with Nick that if you're travelling light then I'd consider walking from Chancery Lane. If you have a lot of baggage, get a private car service to pick you up at the airport.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,870 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New too London City Airport

I must use LCY 3-5 times a year and is my favourite london airport. The DLR. You are out the front door 20min after you land & you only need to turn up at the airport 40 min before your schduled depature.

The DLR is right outside and its only 20 min or so to Bank station. You may want to get a taxi from there to your Hotel in Farrington as its only a short 5min or so journey and will be far cheaper than getting a cab from the airport itself.

denmark
Level Contributor
123 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New too London City Airport

Thanks For all of your input.

Answer too the question about 2 different airports. It is the same price and we just wanted to try LCY

8. Re: New too London City Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2010, 05:24