We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap and good accomodation near Barbican Center

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap and good accomodation near Barbican Center

Hi ,

Anyone has recommendation for above?

Also, pls advise if i have an event at 6pm @ Barbican Center , will I be able to make it to Healthrow Airport for a 9pm's flight? (inclusive of time to check in )

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap and good accomodation near Barbican Center

Accommodation recommendation - Travelodge, City Road. It's walking distance from the Barbican.

Sorry I can't help with the Heathrow journey times.

USA
Level Contributor
513 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap and good accomodation near Barbican Center

Does your event end at 6pm? If it starts at 6pm, I would say it's extremely unlikely you could make a 9pm Heathrow flight. It would help if you tell us which airline, which terminal and where you're flying to.....could make a difference.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap and good accomodation near Barbican Center

Indeed it can make a difference... a big one, and there are many variables, but here's 2 examples;

Scenario 1: Your event at the barbican *finishes* at 6pm and you're out on time, and you are checking in for a UK domestic flight, (so check in closes 1 hour prior to flight). In this case you can make it, you'll need to allow around 70-80 mins to get to Heathrow from Barbican on the tube.

Scenario 2: Your event *starts* at 6pm, and you are catching an international long haul flight... then there is no chance. Check in would be closing at 7pm for most airlines.

As coden says we'd need to know airline, terminal, and whether your event starts or ends at 6pm. I think your chances are slim though.

USA
Level Contributor
513 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap and good accomodation near Barbican Center

Best case would be, your event ends at 6 and you have a domestic flight from London Heathrow. Last time I was at the Barbican was for a classical concert, which probably lasted a good 2 hours or so. In any event, I hope it works out and wish you the best!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,881 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap and good accomodation near Barbican Center

The City Road Travelodge is a decent basic hotel, and may have rates from £19 a night; you must book well in advance to obtain the rate.

If your event at the Barbican starts at 1800 and you have a flight from LHR at 1900 then you have two choices: miss the event and make your flight or attend the event and rebook the flight. If the event at the Barbican takes about an hour and starts at 1800 then you have an almost infinitesimally small chance of getting to the airport in time to make your flight. Any traffic delays and that chance will halve; if you have to check a bag or there is a queue at Security halve that chance again.

Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap and good accomodation near Barbican Center

Thanks for all your advise .

The event is scheduled to end by 6pm. I am trying to catch a flight by Iceland Air. Not sure which terminal. Is this consider a domestic flight ?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,510 posts
1,682 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap and good accomodation near Barbican Center

Is your flight outside the UK?

If it is, you need to be at Heathrow and checked in several hours before the flight time.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap and good accomodation near Barbican Center

<"Iceland Air. Is this consider a domestic flight ?">

If it's a flight to Iceland, then no, it's a seperate country. You need to check with Iceland Air as to what time check in closes, I suspect it will be 2 hours before departure, but it may be less. Check which terminal you need to fly from too, there are 5 at Heathrow, some of them are close together, some are further out.

Buckinghamshire
Level Contributor
355 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap and good accomodation near Barbican Center

OK, so you have a chance.

Icelandair flies from Terminal 1, so the Heathrow Express would be a sensible option, especially since you're starting from the Barbican and you can get either a Circle or Hammersmith & City Line tube straight to Paddington from there.

Unfortunately, the frequency of tubes on those two lines isn't brilliant, but unless there are problems on the tube, if you're travelling on a weekday you ought to just make the 18.40 Heathrow Express departure, especially if you can escape from the Barbican a few minutes before 6pm. If you miss that one, then you'll be on the 18.55, again assuming no problems on the tube. Tubes are even fewer and further between on Sundays, so it could be a bit more touch and go then.

Icelandair's recommended check-in time at Heathrow, though, is 3 hours before departure, which you clearly have no hope of achieving. I can't find any details of latest check-in times on their website, but you should have that in the Terms and Conditions of your ticket.

If you have an e-ticket, you can make things much easier for yourself by checking in online up to 22 hours ahead of the flight departure. So if you check in first thing in the morning (or late the night before), you'll greatly reduce the time you need to spend at Heathrow. If you can travel with hand luggage only, you'll improve your chances even further. You'll still need to be at Heathrow by about 8pm at the latest to make sure you can get through security and to your gate in time, but that shouldn't be any problem.

In summary, the answer is that as long as there are no problems on the Tube to Paddington, and it's OK to check up until about 7.15-7.30, you ought to make it. If you can't check in as late as that, then you're still OK as long as you have an e-ticket (and if you have, I'd recommend checking in online, whatever the latest check-in time at Heathrow - it'll take some pressure off you). Either way, travelling with hand luggage only will help you.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
888 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap and good accomodation near Barbican Center

Would it not be possible to take a taxi from the Barbican to Paddington and save time and avoid "problems on the tube"?