We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stonehenge day trip from London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oakland, California
Level Contributor
262 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Stonehenge day trip from London

I was thinking of taking a day trip to Stonehenge from London, but I hate organized tours. Is there a way to do it myself via public transit? Is it expensive? How long would it take round-trip? Thanks!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stonehenge day trip from London

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k309…

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stonehenge day trip from London

Also, by comparison with central London, Stonehenge is open country & windier. Certainly in winter months or cooler days, throw an extra layer & scarf (light or cozy as climes suggest) into the day sack.

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stonehenge day trip from London

If you just want to see Stonehenge then its cheaper to take the daily afternoon Premium Stonehenge tour than use public transport.

The fare is 28 GBP in the winter and includes Stonehenge admission of 6.50 GBP..

It leaves daily at 12:30 from Victoria, returning about 18:30.

By public transport you would have to get the train to Salisbury, then get the Stonehenge HOHO bus.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Stonehenge day trip from London

Yes, I agree

I am also planning to have a trip to London + Stonehenge

I enjoy the freedom of going by my own instead of guided tour

Oakland, Mi
Level Contributor
165 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stonehenge day trip from London

We took the Premium Bath, Lacock and Stonehenge tour with the sunset private viewing tour of Stonehenge. Check their schedule to see if they offer it on your day ... it is well worth it to get up close and touch the megaliths. It's a long way out and we enjoyed stopping in Bath to see the Roman Baths and the excellent shopping, food (loved Pastry Pesto). We felt we had enough time at each stop and more than enough time at Stonehenge.

Tasmania
Level Contributor
968 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stonehenge day trip from London

Hi there

I really do recommend doing a visit to Stonehenge yourself, it is easy and well worth it. We booked a train to Salisbury, then jumped on the HOHO bus to Stonehenge (it leaves from both the train and bus stations regularly, but check the winter times). It is also worth spending some time in Salisbury itself, the Cathedral is quite spectacular.

It wasnt too expensive, but it did take up the majority of the day, so make sure you allow for this.

Cheers,

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stonehenge day trip from London

If you go by train from London to Salisbury, you can get admission to Stonehenge and a guided tour for £17.50 plus the cost of your train ticket. This has to be bought before you get on the train.

southwesttrains.co.uk/SWTrains/…

Windsor
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Stonehenge day trip from London

By public transport a cheap day return on the train is £29.50 GBP from London to Salisbury and the Stonehenge Bus is £17.50 making a total of £47

Trains take 90 minutes to/from Salisbury and the Stonehenge Bus goes hourly and takes 30 minutes to/from Stonehenge.

The Premium Tours bus goes direct to/from Stonehenge from London in under 2 hours and costs £28, nearly half the cost of going by public transport. The tour bus from London is a blast down the motorway so its really a means to get from A to B (i.e. public transport) and not really a proper tour, the Stonehenge Tour Bus is probably more so.

Tinton Falls, New...
Level Contributor
930 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stonehenge day trip from London

My 2 cents thrown in.

Went on Golden Tours day coach trip to Stonehenge, Bath, and Windsor Castle. Great day tour. Worth every penny. Plenty of time in each location.

Friendly, informative guide. Bonus was a good lunch at a historic pub.

Cheers-----Ken

10. Re: Stonehenge day trip from London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2010, 05:17