We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bonfire Night / Guy Fawkes Day

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Bonfire Night / Guy Fawkes Day

I've perused the previous threads on Guy Fawkes Day and looked through the 2009 event listings on Time Out's website but haven't seen anything that addresses my particular (and weird) question. Most of the events seem to feature big fireworks displays and large crowds whereas what I'm more interested in is the bonfire complete with a burning effigy and the historical aspect of the day. Is there anywhere in London that has a more low-key celebration I might enjoy?

arizona
1 post
Save Reply
21. Re: Bonfire Night / Guy Fawkes Day

I was in London last year and didn't see anything--other than two girls hiding behind a tree lighting sparklers. This year, I'm also in London and haven't heard anything. I've heard more about lighting the Christmas lights. Good luck finding something...it's kind of disappointing isn't it?

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Bonfire Night / Guy Fawkes Day

If you want to see an impressive Guy Fawkes celebration, then Lewes is definitely the place to head for.

They have torchlit processions through the streets, lots of bonfires, burning effigies of the Pope (and usually some more up to date anti-heroes as well: I wouldn't like to say who is in for the treatment this year, but I'm sure it will be topical), impressive firework displays, and everything.

Low-key it is definitely not, but if you want to see Guy Fawkes day celebrated in style, it's the only place to even consider. Just a word of warning though: visitors are not really encouraged. The good folks of Lewes don't really like the idea of people coming down from London for the event. Plenty of people do, of course, but I suggest you don't advertise the fact that you're not from Lewes.

Mind you, given how popular Parliament is at the moment, I believe that there might be some events in London focusing more on the idea of blowing up Parliament.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,240 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Bonfire Night / Guy Fawkes Day

<<That or I could lower my unrealistic and romanticized expectations>>

There have been several articles this week expressing sadness that we seem to have given up Bonfire night in favour of Halloween, under pressure from children who watch US TV.

I suppose also there are more occasions on which people see fireworks now, which didn't happen when I was a child (some considerable time ago) when everyone seemed to have back garden bonfires. firworks were a once a year event.

It really hasn't been a big thing in London for quite a while now.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
247 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Bonfire Night / Guy Fawkes Day

A few years ago when in London for Bonfire Night, I went to the Tourist Information Center on Regent Street. They gave me a list of local celebrations. I chose one near the Putney Bridge tube station. It had some good fireworks and a bonfire and no massive crowds. It was right by the river and the reflection of the fireworks could be seen in the water -- quite nice.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Bonfire Night / Guy Fawkes Day

You mean like this one?

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8342409.stm

edenbridgetown.com/bonfire_night/…index.shtml

Edenbridge is a 50-minute train journey from London Bridge station, and the fare there and back would be about £13.

London
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Bonfire Night / Guy Fawkes Day

I've heard that a 50 foot high effigy of Jordan (aka Katie Price) is going on the bonfire of Lewes this year. I wouldn't like to be around when those implants explode........

27. Re: Bonfire Night / Guy Fawkes Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2010, 05:19