We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to oxford/cambridge/windsor

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
asia
Level Contributor
156 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip to oxford/cambridge/windsor

Hi,

Need some advice regarding a day trip. I'll be in London in Dec and planning to take a day trip to either Oxford, Cambridge or Windsor castle. Which would you recommend? Wanted to join London walk but they aren't conducting any tours to these places during my stay...

Or is there some place nicer ( I've been to Bath and stonehenge)

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip to oxford/cambridge/windsor

Cambridge.

its so beautiful, and so peaceful. its not a city like Oxford, its a unique University town in the countryside, only 45mins by train from King's Cross

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,841 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip to oxford/cambridge/windsor

Absolutely Cambridge!

There is a tour bus that goes around the town which IMO is worth taking.

The punts will probably have been put away by December, but a walk alongg the backs is a delight as, of course, is King's College Chapel. Try to go for evensong ,during the school term if you can. http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/chapel/

The Cambridge Forum will have suggestions about restaurants.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g186225-i633-Cam…

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip to oxford/cambridge/windsor

If you want to see a castle, go to Windsor.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip to oxford/cambridge/windsor

Cambridge is my vote,especially Caius college with the backs and the river and its beautifully kept grounds.

it would take up most of a day to visit and do it justice.

Windsor is an easy train ride,can be done in a few hours,

to see the changing of the guard,have a nice pub lunch and

walk over to see Eton college.

http://www.cam.ac.uk/visitors/

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip to oxford/cambridge/windsor

I have a huge fondness for Cambridge - although it IS a city, as fuchsiagirl syas it's quieter and more charming than Oxford. It is, though, much smaller than Oxford, so do look at a guide to see whether you can fill a day there.

Windosor I find deathly dull, but some people seem to like the castle.

asia
Level Contributor
156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip to oxford/cambridge/windsor

wow guess Cambridge it is then, I've seen some pictures posted on the London Walk website and thought Cambridge did look really beautiful. Was worried that it might not be as nice in Dec. Will have to read up more at the cambridge forum.

Thanks everyone for replying and giving your two cents worth =)

USA
Level Contributor
513 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip to oxford/cambridge/windsor

Since you're going to Cambridge, you could also visit nearby Ely, if nothing else for their beautiful cathedral:

britainexpress.com/Where_to_go_in_Britain/De…

If I remember correctly, when I did it, I got a train ticket to Ely, got off at Cambridge on the way, spent some time there and then got back on the train to Ely (just a few minutes away) and finally returning to London late in the day.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,841 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip to oxford/cambridge/windsor

Cambridge is still pretty and interesting in December, and I certainly recommend going, but one thing that someone coming from London needs to know is that Cambridge is likely to be colder than London. You almost centainly will need to bring a fleece and have a wool jersey underneath. Boots would be good too.

On the other hand, Cambridge is drier than London and much sunnier. It can really sparkle in winter. Just the thing for a London break.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,183 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip to oxford/cambridge/windsor

Note if you want to see any particular college in Oxford or Cambridge, check before you travel to see if it is open to the public. If you are there during term time, they may be closed at random some or all of the day.

In addition to colleges, Oxford has

Ashmoleon museum (spelling?)

Pitt Rivers museum

Natural History museum

all free

Oxford unlocked - castle/prison. Not free.

botanical gardens (maybe free in winter)

Cambridge has

Fitzwilliam museum

also free

Botanical gardens (again, maybe free in winter. Not sure)

Both have punts for hire to punt yourself (not really recommended unless you fancy a swim in a cold river) or with a guide. You get a good view of the colleges from the river in cambridge, but not so much in Oxford.

Harry potter stuff is in Oxford.

But if you want to see a castle, as opposed to a university, you should go to Windsor. It is also a very nice town. You can also see Eton college here (if the castle doesn't take up most of the day).

All of these places will probably be quite nice and Christmassy with lights and decorations. I am not sure if there are any specific Christmas markets on (but the usual markets will be on no doubt.) There is an open top bus tour in all of these places, but all are small enough to walk round.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip to oxford/cambridge/windsor

I also recommend Cambridge. You can join a walking tour from the visitor's center.

visitcambridge.org/TicketServer/…