We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

T5 Heathrow appears to get even better

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,469 posts
1 review
Save Topic
T5 Heathrow appears to get even better

After a good few months not moving around much, I've been back using T5, 3 arrivals in last two weeks. Just this afternoon I landed and got through to the car park in just 20mins. Yippee!

Last weeks 30 mins.

That's deliberately timed exactly from wheels down which is pretty good going. Bags awaiting (yet again) in the hall, Bliss and very efficient..

Additionally notable today as I literally bumped into Roger Moore at baggage reclaim! He was travelling alone, looked and sounded fabulous for his years. Sorry I digress....but couldn't resist as I'm a fan :-)

Just a note for those concerned about Heathrow, it's not all bad but of course you do need a bit of luck.

Stoofer.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: T5 Heathrow appears to get even better

Thank you, Stoof, for posting this! I'm one of the fans of T5, even if they don't stock my favourite biscuits!

Have you noticed if Roger's hair colour was a bit -hhhmmmm how can I put it- not natural?

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,469 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: T5 Heathrow appears to get even better

Hi Thalia

Well, hmm? I actually met him about 20 years ago (introduced etc. at a function) at a horse race meeting. Sure he's changed a bit (I won't comment on what you said) but do you realise he's 82 years of age?

He wouldn't know me from Adam, but I knew enough from a brief meeting all those years ago not fear saying hello. He was on his own, as was I, so I acknowledged him and we talked for a couple of mins. True to the 'old form' I've witnessed, he's exactly the gent he appears on screen. As a teenager who watched 'Live & Let Die' 7 times, it's an absolute thrill. :-) And, as I said, he looked fantastic and daper as ever. They just don't make actors like that anymore.

But on topic, the first year I've felt confident and happy using a London Airport - long may it continue!

Stoofer

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: T5 Heathrow appears to get even better

T5 is awesome... for those wondering whether to fly British Airways versus AA, or Air Canada, or Delta, or whoever, here is your answer. T5, being BA's "home venue" is exactly what it should be.... a truly calm, efficient model of how to run a terminal. I highly recommend it. Shame on those who slagged it off just because it had teething troubles in its first week.

As for our Stoofter meeting Sir Roger... brilliant. I trust it was an eyebrow raising experience? ;-)

Ambler, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
982 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: T5 Heathrow appears to get even better

I agree about T5. Arrival was easy enough and well-marked. Departure was even better... it did feel calm and not at all like a busy, crowded terminal.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,469 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: T5 Heathrow appears to get even better

Canucks,

What's great is... you just know he doesn''t want or need to be called 'sir' :-)

Oh, and I also slagged off the teething problems at T5 because I've always had ( and still have) major issues with BAA. But I'm fair- minded and regularly 'eat humble pie', It's only fair to report the good as well as the bad.

Stoofer

Glen Mills...
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: T5 Heathrow appears to get even better

T5 would be better if they got rid of gate A10 - ugh!

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: T5 Heathrow appears to get even better

Glad to hear it's smoothed out. I'm arriving there in two days, 11/4/09. First time through since it opened.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,196 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: T5 Heathrow appears to get even better

T5 is pretty great, even with the numerous escalators and lifts needed to get from point to point.

Kroganite, you may or may not get the full whack on arrival, though. A number of long haul flights arrive at T5B, the satellite terminal building or use remote stands, calling for stairs down from plane to apron then a bus to the terminal building. The walk from the B satellite to the main terminal building and passport control is a long'un, including a short ride on a wee transit train. Using a remote stand takes that down to a short-ish bus ride, pulling up to the terminal very near passport control; of the two I think I'd rather arrive at a remote stand.

My only experience (so far) of A10 was when I took part in one of the pre-opening trials of the terminal builidng. Could tell then it would not win Most Popular Gate award at T5, and it's not failed in that regard.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,469 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: T5 Heathrow appears to get even better

A lot of airports have their horror gates for slepping.

In my travels, the best airport in Europe has been Munich terminal 2 (for Lufthansa) and even there they have 5 gates everyone hates, and London route seems to hit them regularly :-)

It's just good to see T5 functioning as it should, now that BAA have been kicked up the backside we should see more and more improvements with the renovated terminals. Gatwick should also improve when sold, BAA got away with poor facilities and service for far too long IMO, it was always a case of "things can only get better".

Stoofer

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: T5 Heathrow appears to get even better

What's wrong with A10?