We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

T5 Heathrow appears to get even better

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,465 posts
1 review
Save Topic
T5 Heathrow appears to get even better

After a good few months not moving around much, I've been back using T5, 3 arrivals in last two weeks. Just this afternoon I landed and got through to the car park in just 20mins. Yippee!

Last weeks 30 mins.

That's deliberately timed exactly from wheels down which is pretty good going. Bags awaiting (yet again) in the hall, Bliss and very efficient..

Additionally notable today as I literally bumped into Roger Moore at baggage reclaim! He was travelling alone, looked and sounded fabulous for his years. Sorry I digress....but couldn't resist as I'm a fan :-)

Just a note for those concerned about Heathrow, it's not all bad but of course you do need a bit of luck.

Stoofer.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: T5 Heathrow appears to get even better

I understand, Stoof. Still, BA has a very dedicated group of fans in Greece. Those who don't fly Sleasy, they always prefer BA. Aegean was popular for those who prefered Stanstead but now that they moved to Heathrow they will certainly lose customers.

Considering that most Greeks who fly to London are students, having the abiltiy to carry tons of stuff and pay from none to little is very imprtant!

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: T5 Heathrow appears to get even better

No, no, no: Incontinentia is Biggus's wife.

Mrs Maximus goes by the name of Voluptua.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: T5 Heathrow appears to get even better

These Romans are crazy! What's wrong with plain names like Mary, Rose and Liz?

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,465 posts
1 review
Save Reply
24. Re: T5 Heathrow appears to get even better

> No, no, no <

I am with you, I was responding to Canucks's "He has a wife you know ".

P history is THE most important. :-)

> Most Greeks who fly to London are students <

I dIdn't know that, potential delays probably don't concern them so much..

Stoofer

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: T5 Heathrow appears to get even better

The UK is full of Greek students, Stoof!

Many of them fly to London and then take the train or bus to their destination if it's not far up in the North.

KLM is a favourite of those who go to Scottish Unis, mainly because Amsterdam makes an interesting stop over. ;-)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,176 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: T5 Heathrow appears to get even better

A gate A10 departure ensures pax (even Womans) will be dwiven to the plane by bus.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: T5 Heathrow appears to get even better

Ah, I see.

Well I do like those tubes (is that how we call those pipes that lead you straight to the plane?) but every Greek resident is used to be driven or even to walk to the plane so it doesn't bother me that much.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,617 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: T5 Heathrow appears to get even better

We used gate A10 the other week. Very boring especially as I was looking forward to exploring airside at T5 for the first time. You take an elevator or escalator down one level from the central area and wait until your flight is called. You are then bussed to your plane. The gate can service about three or four departures at any one time.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,531 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: T5 Heathrow appears to get even better

I've flown to to the US twice this year, once with BA and once with Virgin. Although I agree Terminal 5 is by far the best, I found the overall experience with Virgin better. I was able to choose my seats at the time of booking, and on both outward and return flights on BA they ran out of food choices half way through distributing them, whereas on Virgin I had a choice of three meals going and coming back. I also found the Virgin staff that bit more friendly, though I grant that can probably vary from day to day.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,465 posts
1 review
Save Reply
30. Re: T5 Heathrow appears to get even better

Wansteader

You're right about the seating choice, the on-line check-in that BA and many others adopt is a hassle. Now that everyone (mostly everyone) is up to speed on how it works, you have to be on-line within a few seconds of opening, it's an e- stampede to get the good seats.

Stoofer