We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Bath-Could it be $160

Long Island,NY
Level Contributor
58 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
London to Bath-Could it be $160

I checked with First Great Western for a Feb. trip from London to Bath for the day "off Super Peak" and for the two of us it comes to 98 pounds or $160. This seems out of sight for an hour and a half trip on the train at off peak times. Am I checking properly? Is there a less expensive way- other then a 3 hour bus? Thank you for your help.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,386 Reviews
from US$126.10*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath, Pub...
2,144 Reviews
from US$128.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros. Studio: The Making of...
539 Reviews
from US$113.80*
Portskewett, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Bath-Could it be $160

I just checked Trainline and they quote the same price for mid week fares after 10.00am - £49 each for a return is probably about right unless there are any special offer on which there may be a bit closer to the date. Could you go on a weekend when travel is much cheaper booked in advance??

Not sure about buses as I always catch the train to London

Sarah

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Bath-Could it be $160

You are likely checking too early, cheap fares come in at 10-12 weeks out. For example, for mid week in early December I am seeing return fares from £19 and I think I've seen them even cheaper than that before. Also, for best value, you need to get the timing right, and choose particular timed trains, anytime is always going to be more expensive.

Please, to avoid confusion, its best to quote the individual price per person (after all, with a family of 4 you'd be saying "is it really £196?" ,and also don't do the conversion to dollars, again, thats just confusing.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Bath-Could it be $160

On FGW it's often worth looking at two advance booking singles.

To Bath, you' usually find them around £15-£19 each way booked in advance midweek.

Long Island,NY
Level Contributor
58 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Bath-Could it be $160

Thank you to all. I will check again as we get closer to February.

Bay Shore, New York
Level Contributor
101 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Bath-Could it be $160

Is it possible to book a train to Bath that same day -- would the rates be very high? I kept meaning to book the train for our vacation next week when we are in London -- but I put it off and now the rate of 46GBP that i had found is not showing up. :-( Could we just go to Paddington that day and see if we can get a train?

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
The Paddington Hotel
The Paddington Hotel
391 Reviews
London, UK
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Bath-Could it be $160

<<Is it possible to book a train to Bath that same day>>

Yes of course

<< would the rates be very high?>>

Yes of course

<< Could we just go to Paddington that day and see if we can get a train?>>

It would sure be inconvenient if you couldn't.

Even if you book a day or two in advance it may well be cheaper than on the day. Try www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com to check prices and book.

Mentioned in this post
The Paddington Hotel
The Paddington Hotel
391 Reviews
London, UK
7. Re: London to Bath-Could it be $160

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2010, 06:17