We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

london..where to stay?

Level Contributor
162 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
london..where to stay?

I'm taking my mother to europe next May and London is our first stop..my question is ..where do we stay? Firstly we want to be close to attractions (as my mother cant spend the whole day on her feet) also shopping and restaurants. Any feed back would be great, thanks for your time!

Borough Market
Flea & Street Markets
Camden Market
Flea & Street Markets,
Covent Garden
Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks,
Pop Brixton
Flea & Street Markets, Shopping Malls
Level Contributor
8,659 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: london..where to stay?

Shopping, restaurants, and "attractions" are spread over a large area, so some travelling is inevitable, but public transport is good so whilst you *can* walk it, you usually don't need to.

So, some ideas: If you wanted to be close to say, Parliament, Trafalgar Square and the London Eye, then somewhere around the South Bank, maybe the Marriot or Premier Inn Properties at County Hall would be good. The Tower of London and Tower Bridge are a good couple of miles away (just so you have an idea of distances) and are served by hotels in the Tower Hill area. Not the most central area though. Trafalgar Square/Charing Cross, Covent Garden, Bloomsbury and Paddington are all popular choices for tourists so are worth checking out.

Have you an idea of what your total budget is per night, and do you need a twin room or seperate singles?

Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: london..where to stay?

The best answer to that question probably depends on which attractions you are keen to visit. London is a big place, and the attractions are quite widely spread.

Level Contributor
162 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: london..where to stay?

Thanks for the feed back , we would stay in a twin room and I suppose we would be looking at spending now more than $100 each per night (aus dollars).

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,451 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: london..where to stay?

How much is A$100 in Pounds these days? If it is around 2 to the pound then this is going to severely limit your choices. Take a look at Travelodge or Premier Inn web sites as Travelodge do a GBP19 per night sale every so often although they sell out fast.

Other alternatives may be in the Bloomsbury area which is close to the British Museum and Covent Garden.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,554 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: london..where to stay?

Bear in mind the OP said $100 australian dollars (around £50) each, which would work out at £100 per night for the room.

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
377 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: london..where to stay?

A tip if you book using the travelodge sale rooms. I had put in dates for first weekend in February, beginning 5th for 2 nights. For the covent garden hotel it came up about £198 for the two nights, a family room, however if I put in the nights separately, ie one night at a time it was about half the cost for the total price ! Got this tip from moneysavingexpert.com .Don't know if it works on every hotel but its worth a try.

7. Re: london..where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2010, 06:18
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor