We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your favourite London hidden gem

Drouin, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Your favourite London hidden gem

Hi, I've been a dedicated lurker of these boards for a few months now and have learned a lot of useful tips for my 2010 trip - thanks everyone. I will have three weeks to enjoy London (aren't I lucky?) so, I'm planning to spend some time wandering somewhat aimlessly and finding what I can find,

But, just out of curiosity, I wonder what those of you who are familiar with London have discovered for yourself in the back streets and cosy corners of the city. Perhaps a little street oozing with character, a quirky shop, a particularly pretty view from a corner of park, or a unique small museum? I'd love to hear about them all.

Deb

manchester...
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Your favourite London hidden gem

what a fantastic question...10/10......

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Your favourite London hidden gem

Bathhurst Mews near Lancaster Gate tube stop. It's especially delightful after dark - you can hear the horses stirring in their stalls. And the glow of lamps behind curtains in the mews houses add to the ambiance. Not to mention the potted plants, the cobblestones, the archways...

Boston
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Your favourite London hidden gem

Not sure that it's hidden, but definitely a gem IMO-- The Dissenters' Chapel at Kensal Green Cemetery. Beautiful art exhibits with music recitals and events, usually Friday through Sunday, 10 am - 6 pm. Free, and open to the public.

The Cemetery itself is the first private Cemetery in London, inspired by the Pere Lachaises (garden cemetery) in Paris, founded in 1833, and a year younger than our beloved Mount Auburn Cemetery here in Cambridge, USA. The sculpture is beautiful, and ithe place is a veritable sanctuary for birds, plants, flowers, trees... like most garden cemeteries. I feel like I am worlds away from everything there.

There are tours at 14:00 (2 pm) every Sunday, March through October, and every first and third Sunday, Nov. through Feb. Oh, they'll request a donation, but worth it... you can see the catacombs, and have tea and biscuits after. Or you can walk around yourself, and find treasures each an every time.

My 19th visit (and counting!) to London, and I never miss a visit. I like it better than Highgate... so much so that I joined as a Friend!

happy travels, and lots of great replies here, so much to see....

Anywhere But Here
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Your favourite London hidden gem

http://www.thejoyofshards.co.uk/london/hitch/

In the Leytonstone underground station there is a permanent exhibit of 17 mosaics, commemorating the life and career of Alfred Hitchcock - and include scenes from some of his most famous films. (Hitchcock was born in Leystonestone in 1899)

Leytonstone is on the central line, and is 5 stops east of the Liverpool Street station.

Drouin, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: Your favourite London hidden gem

Thank you so much everyone, there are so many ideas here, many I hadn't come across before. So much to do, so little time. Canucks, that walking route you mentioned sounds interesting, I would like to hear more if you have the time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Your favourite London hidden gem

Temple Church off of Fleet Street. I think part of the da Vinci code was set/filmed here. Dates from perhaps the 1200s and has some weird gargoyles of tortured and grinning faces inside. The whole Temple area is interesting and many films are made here because of the 17 century backdrops in what is the base for many of our barristers.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Your favourite London hidden gem

Debinoz: Short review here, with link to photos:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k27582…

I'll get you some more specific directions.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
24 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Your favourite London hidden gem

Ottolenghi is fantastic for a lunch! Very original recipes, with simple ingredients and tastes amazing. They released a book recently which I bought and every recipe has been a hit.

http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/

The original cafe was in Notting Hill but now in Islington, Kensington and Belgravia too.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: Your favourite London hidden gem

St. Christopher's Place - a shop filled alleway that opens onto a nice square filled with restaurants.

You can access it from Oxford St (near Bond St tube), meander through and make your way to the Wallace Collection.

See http://www.stchristophersplace.com/

London
Level Contributor
2,211 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Your favourite London hidden gem

Another interesting, self guided walk traces the boundary of the old Roman City walls. There are a few sections still visible, though you need some perserverance and a good imagination to visualise how it all once looked.

You'll definitely discover more than a few hidden nooks and crannies on the way;

london-footprints.co.uk/wklondonwallroute.htm