We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

" connecting from Terminal 1 to 5 "

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
" connecting from Terminal 1 to 5 "

I need to get flight connections from 'Terminal 1 going to terminal 5' and I cannot really afford to 'screw up'. I am fairly world travelled and understand walking should take about 10 minutes. (Probably my best option). There would possibly be a Wait on terminal buses and train (Underground). Please clarify if there is an 'internal airport train' that Continually goes around each terminal ? Also please clarify the actual number of train services going from terminal 1 to 5 ? I read heathrow Express, Heathrow Connect..., I appreciate some help as bit unclear.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,821 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: " connecting from Terminal 1 to 5 "

see Flight Connections, on www.heathrowairport.com

There is a tube line, but I've never used it.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,834 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: " connecting from Terminal 1 to 5 "

If your luggage is checked through and you have all your boarding passes, then the process is described at the link below:

http://tinyurl.com/2gmveq

If however, you have to pick up your luggage at T1 and check in again with BA at T5, then you can get the Heathrow Express from T1 to T5 - just follow the signs for Trains when you're in the departure lounge at T1. This is free when using it to transfer between terminals (don't get the Heathrow Connect as that goes to T4). The HEX is every 15 minutes and it takes about 5 mins to get to T5.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: " connecting from Terminal 1 to 5 "

I now see Heathrow Connect train, goes from Terminals 1,2 & 3 To Terminal 4 Only ? (no use)

* I also see Heathrow EXPRESS train (Underground) goes from terminals 1,2 & 3 To terminal 5 !! (seems good option)

Are All my train options, then Either Heathrow EXPRESS Or the Piccadillys, Blue London Underground line ?? Just wondering if there were "Any Other" train Lines (and Or) Service providers, going From terminal 1 to 5 ?

I want to be dead certain and not be faced with something unforeseen.

Appreciate some clarification of All my options from T1 to T5..

Ritchey, Belfast, NI

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: " connecting from Terminal 1 to 5 "

It's way more than 10 minutes walk - it's the other side of the airport:

There are several options:

airside bus if you are booked through. Really the only option if you are.

Heathrow Express (free) The Connect does not serve T5

Local bus (free)

Tube (not free - £3.20)

taxi - expensive

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: " connecting from Terminal 1 to 5 "

We just did this 2 weeks ago. Flew into 1 transferred to 5. Our bags were not checked through, so we had to wait for our luggage (FYI..it took BMI an hour to deliver the luggage to baggage claim). From there follow the connections sign to the arrival hall. From there I found the signage kind of confusing, so I asked. Make an immediate right in the arrivals hall to the elevators. The farthest few elevators will take you down to the trains. Then it gets easy follow the signs for a train going to Terminal 5. After we collected our baggage, it took about 20 minutes to make the transfer to 5.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: " connecting from Terminal 1 to 5 "

Hi Ritchey,

You might want to try the transportdirect website. I use it a lot and find it indispensible for working out how to get from point A to point B with a mix of walking and various public transport options all over England. I used it for arriving at T4 and catching the Oxford bus at Heathrow's central bus station. You can get detailed maps, pick your walking speed, it even tells you which bus stand. It's great.

http://transportdirect.com/Web2/Home.aspx

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,881 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: " connecting from Terminal 1 to 5 "

One cannot walk from T1 to T5, as the only way from T1 to the Bath Road is through a half mile service tunnel with no pedestrian access.

The HEX does serve T1,2,3 (one station for all three terminal buildings) and T5. Trains run four times an hour, with the walk from T1 Arrivals to the HEX station a solid ten minute schlep - the last bit along a long bare corridor. The train takes less than five minutes to make its way from T1,2,3 to T5.

At T5 you'll find lifts up to Departures. There are no call buttons on the lifts nor are there destination buttons inside - the lifts travel automatically from one level to another.

I hope you've allowed at least 90 minutes for the connection. You must be checked in and through Security at T5 no later than T-35min before scheduled flight departure or else you will not be allowed to board the plane.

If you're flying long haul then your flight may depart from T5B, the satellite terminal building. It takes a good ten minutes to make one's way from the main terminal building to the B satellite, as the journey involves a trip on a small transit train and a bit of a walk. Security queues at T5 can also be long and a bit tedious, as the preparation area for the trip through the screening process is next to nil - there's almost always a bottleneck (grrrr).

London
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: " connecting from Terminal 1 to 5 "

It is not possible to walk from T1 to T5.

Just to back up the excellent advice given here, your best option is the Heathrow Express. It is a free service. Just follow the signs from T1 Arrivals. Yes, it is an underground train, but is not part of the London Underground network, totally seperate to the Piccadilly line.

If you do have a code share ticket, and your bags are checked through, then you follow the Flight Connections signs and use the free BAA transfer bus, but I'm assuming you don't.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: " connecting from Terminal 1 to 5 "

Thank you One and All for taking the time to send me advice. I am travelling with the young nephew to LA on December 20th, British Airways from Dublin via Heathrow. We have 105 min stopover in Heathrow and I have had it Confirmed Bags, will go "through to LA" from Dublin.

I have such a brilliant itinerary planned and wanted to get off to good Start ! My Mums funeral was last Christmas Eve, so...., I will enjoy returning to LA while its nephews first trip.

I now feel either the 'EXPRESS Underground train' or bus link, are my best suited options. I just wanted to establish that we get on the "right tracks", and try avoid messing up our flight Connections .

Again thanks to one and all.

Ritchey

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,834 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: " connecting from Terminal 1 to 5 "

If your bags are checked through and I'm guessing you're travelling with Aer Lingus from Dublin to LHR and then with BA from LHR to LAX then there's no need o get the HEX. As Aer Lingus and BA are part of the One World Alliannce, your luggage will be checked through to LA and you'll be able to check in 24 hours before your BA flight and print your boarding pass. If not then aer Lingus should be able to give you your boarding passes in Dublin.

So, if your luggage is checked through and you have your boarding passes for the BA flight to LA, there's no need to get the HEX to T5. Just follow the signs for Flight Connections and you can get an internal bus transfer to T5.

More details at the link I posted previously.

http://tinyurl.com/2gmveq