We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter Hours - Sightseeing After Dark?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
359 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Winter Hours - Sightseeing After Dark?

As I reschedule my trip to Feb or March (now looking at mid-March as well), I assume it will be dark as early as 4:30 or 5pm, like here in Seattle...is there a walk, bus ride or river cruise worth doing after dark?

Also, my probable hotel location will be in the Buckingham Palace area...is it safe to walk The Mall alone after dark or should I rely on the bus?

As usual, thanks for your expertise!

Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
79 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter Hours - Sightseeing After Dark?

By March, the evenings will be getting lighter. It should be OK beyond 5pm for a while.

Several tour companies run sight-seeing /Thames cruise trips at night (as well as the HOHO services). And there's always the top of double-decker buses (routes 11, 15, and 19 take in the major sights).

As regards safety, don't give it a thought. You will be fine. Just don't go wandering off into the bushes late at night!

Enjoy!

London
Level Contributor
759 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter Hours - Sightseeing After Dark?

See this link for sunset and twilight times in London next February, you can change it to show March or any other time also

timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html…

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter Hours - Sightseeing After Dark?

Well the Mall has Buckingham Palace and St.James Palace at one end, and Admiralty Arch where several govt. ministers have appartments at the other end, so if you're not safe there....

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter Hours - Sightseeing After Dark?

On March 20th, London will have exactly the same amount of daylight as Seattle. And Sydney...and Miami, and Anchorage, and everywhere else.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter Hours - Sightseeing After Dark?

If you can do it mid-March or end of March then it will be significantly better than February.

I've done a river cruise during the night and I loved it, same with London Eye (assuming that you are a bit familiar with the lay out of the city).

I always like to ride no15 after dark. It's like a mini-sightseeing tour.

The Mall is safe and it's also a very beautiful walk.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter Hours - Sightseeing After Dark?

Forgot the details about my no15 mini sightseeing ride. I take it from Marble Arch or Oxford Circus and I get off at Tower Gateway. From there, I take RV1 to Covent Garden, another nice ride.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter Hours - Sightseeing After Dark?

I'm coming down on Thursday and over the weekend for the first time so late in the year for the Turner and Masters exhibition at the Tate and have booked the play I want to see ... just thinking the same thing re being dark early.

I gather this time in November is a peak period too insofar as all hotels seem booked solid . .. so expect to be jostling in crowds .

Is there ever a low season in London ?

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winter Hours - Sightseeing After Dark?

IME, February is "lower" than other seasons. I'm not sure if it's considered low but hotels and airfares are cheaper, shops are quiet and it's very easy to get a reservation for tea, dinner etc.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Winter Hours - Sightseeing After Dark?

Mid February is school half term so airfares all go up for the week.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,101 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Winter Hours - Sightseeing After Dark?

Casamana- I saw Turner & the Masters on Sunday , an excellent and interesting exhibition. I also popped into the Turner Prize exhibit. Not so inspiring when you have just seen Turners, Canalettos and Renbrandts!

As for sightseeing after dark, the walk along the South Bank from Westminster Bridge is always worth doing and is especially nice in the evening.