We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fulham game Dec. 26, before & after advice?

ak4
Level Contributor
63 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Fulham game Dec. 26, before & after advice?

We got our 4 tickets, seats in the neutral zone, by calling the day they went on sale to the general public! Now I'd love some advice on where to eat before hand and some ideas about what we could do/see after wards.

We are staying near Regents Park/Primrose Hill/Camden area and will look into public transport, any tips for us? Am I right that Boxing Day means the Sunday schedule for buses and the tube? We don't mind (actually would like unless it's pouring rain) walking a good part of the way too.

Also, any places to go see that are nearby? It will be our second day in London. Should we just plan on heading back into central London for the rest of the afternoon/evening?

thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,205 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fulham game Dec. 26, before & after advice?

The info given at the TfL website shows that the District line has no planned closures for 26 December. Depending on your starting point, make your way to Paddington for the District line to Earl's Court and Fulham Broadway. The number 205 bus travels along Euston and Marylebone Roads to Paddington and the number 27 towards Turnham Green travels through Camden then the same route as the 205 to Paddington as well.

There are a handful of places to eat along Earl's Court Road: Masala Zone, Nando's, Addie's Thai Cafe, As Greek As It Gets, Zizzi, a smart burger place, Balan's West (at the junction of Earl's Court Road and Old Brompton Road), some Chinese and Indian takeaways and probably a few more I can't recall.

ak4
Level Contributor
63 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fulham game Dec. 26, before & after advice?

thanks for the fast reply, I really appreciate the info.

Any decent pubs nearby that will be lively but not rowdy?

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fulham game Dec. 26, before & after advice?

You got tickets for the game against Spurs (my team) and I didn't? There ain't no justice in the world. However, it should be a really good game for you to go to, the atmosphere (which won't be violent) will be good.

Are you 4 adults, or a family with children, because this will affect which pubs or bars you can go in. The game starts at 1 pm, so will be finished at 3 pm and there isn't anywhere particularly good around the stadium. So, if you have oystercards or travelcards, then I would suggest that after exiting the stadium that you get on the first not crowded double-decker bus heading back east into town and sit on the top desk and just relax. Once you've reached Piccadilly Circus or Trafalgar Square, then have something to eat or drink around there, and maybe go to see a film?

ak4
Level Contributor
63 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fulham game Dec. 26, before & after advice?

We are 4 adults and are totally excited. Sorry you didn't get tickets, we had to stay up really late due to the time difference so that we could get tickets the morning they went on sale. Thanks for the tips.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fulham game Dec. 26, before & after advice?

> seats in the neutral zone <

Hmmm. I don't know of such a zone! You are almost certainly in the home section.

ak4
Level Contributor
63 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fulham game Dec. 26, before & after advice?

Greenwich Nick, our seats are in the Putney end and the ticket guy told us it's for "neutral fans". I looked it up and found out that only Fulham is allowed to have a zone designated neutral. Since there wasn't a lot of choice of seats for 4 together, we went for those.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,415 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fulham game Dec. 26, before & after advice?

^^ There is actually a 'neutral zone' at Craven Cottage, right next to the 'away' end, and its often a mix of home and away supporters. Never seen any problems there as a result though.

Theres a good selection of eateries along the Fulham Palace Road, especially towards the Hammersmith end.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fulham game Dec. 26, before & after advice?

Coo - my apologies, and thank you both for seeing me better informed.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,629 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fulham game Dec. 26, before & after advice?

Most of the pubs in the immediate area aren't great but I do suggest The White Horse on Parsons Green, about 50 yards from the tube station of the same name and one stop before Putney Bridge. It's a brisk 25-30 minute walk from the ground.

There is also an excellent award winning pub just over the bridge on the south side of the river which gets regular mentions here but I can't for the life of me think what it's called.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Fulham game Dec. 26, before & after advice?

"There is also an excellent award winning pub just over the bridge on the south side of the river which gets regular mentions here but I can't for the life of me think what it's called"

Adam,

I think you mean the Bricklayer's Arms, the only pub in London that does the full range of Timothy Taylor beers and it also has regular guest beers as well.

http://www.bricklayers-arms.co.uk/

Edited: 02 December 2009, 09:47