We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
209 reviews
Save Topic
trip report

I'm back from a short trip over to London. I stayed at The Howard - Swissotel and just posted a review which should appear shortly. Overall, the hotel was pretty similar to the reviews.

Things I did this trip:

Football: went to Fulham/Bolton with friends. I always enjoy a trip out here since it's a good venue and easy to get to. I heard that I was even on the highlights on skysports but I haven't seen the footage yet. I didn't make it to Arsenal/Chelsea - my tickets from a friend fell through but I am sort of glad since it was a downpour. I did watch the match in The Globe off of Baker st - nice venue to watch football.

Restaurants (new ones for me):

St Johns Bakery & Wine off of Commerce St - lovely dinner here. It's tapas style but English fare. I even tried a few new things for me and really did enjoy it. The prices were reasonable too.

La Gavroche - big splurge but it was yummy and most of the wines were very good. I did the tasting menu with a friend and had some great courses (it's an 8 course meal). We also picked the option where they pick a wine for you for each course. Some weren't to my taste, but my friend didn't let it go to waste.

Rochester Castle & Cathedral - I went out here last Friday. It's an easy trip from Victoria Station. I enjoyed both the castle and cathedral. The castle is a ruin but a lot is still there and the audio guide was worth the small fee. The cathedral was stunning.

LHR T4 - every time I come through here they've made more improvements. A lot of new shops have opened up since early October. Also, security is a breeze - less than 10 minutes from tube to shopping in duty free.

Other than that - I spent a lot of time catching up with friends, walking around London, a little bit of shopping and also checked out my company's offices in Surrey while meeting with colleagues - never hurts to network. The weather was a little bit of everything from very cold (to me it was very cold and glad I brought the puffer jacket) to rainy and wet. Of course today was mild because I was leaving!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report

Thanks for the nice report - catching up with friends and walking around London. Two of my favorite reasons for going there.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,826 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report

"Some weren't to my taste, but my friend didn't let it go to waste."

Well that's that friends are for and I hate to see wine go to waste!! Glad you enjoyed Le Gavroche.

3. Re: trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2010, 05:19