We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Report of a disappointing trip to London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
867 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Report of a disappointing trip to London

I've just returned from a very short trip to London and the experience was a bit disappointing. I'll tell you why in a second.

But before we go into that, I'd like to thank you all for your tips and advice. Thank you so much, guys! Your suggestions were wonderful and allowed me to save time and money. Travelling without tripadvisor is unthinkable to me.

My second London odyssey began on Thursday the 3rd of December. I was travelling with a friend, so I really wanted things to be perfect.

The trip started well. The easy jet flight arrived on time and the Stansted Express was an excellent way to get to Central London: fast, reliable, comfortable. They're right: everything else is a risk. We stayed at the lovely easy Hotel Earl's Court and, again, everything went smoothly. There were no problems with the reservations, the rooms were small but they were comfortable, safe, clean and had everything we needed.

(As a sidenote, this is one of the things I like the most about Britain: its reliability. If you play by the rules and take no chances, you'll have no problems. In Portugal, this doesn't always happen, not even with big companies, but that's anoter story...)

In the evening, I had some trouble getting to the O2 to see Eddie Izzard. I took a taxi and the driver was not just efficient and polite, he was extremely honest as well: he knew I was completely lost but he took no advantage of that. He immediately told me that he couldn't get me there on time and explained what my options were. He dropped me near the Westminster tube station, where I caught the train to the O2. I gave the man a 5 GBP tip but he deserved much more. God bless him.

I arrived at the O2 on time and the architecture of the place really impressed me. Eddie's show didn't. It was good but nothing spectacular, he can do so much better than that. I liked his intuition, though: he really could feel what worked (e.g. the raptor jokes) and what didn't.

I'm glad I was alone at the O2 and didn't take my friend with me: he's Portuguese and he wouldn't have understood most of the show. Moreover, getting to the O2 would have been too stressful and hectic for him.

After the show, I had a business meeting and this was the worst part of my trip. It was so depressing I don't even want to talk about it.

The next morning I had more business meetings. They were ok but I spent tons of money and results weren't as good as I had planned.

I had the free afternoon, so I met my friend at the hotel and took him to the Borough Market. The weather was so beautiful! We crossed the London Bridge on foot, the views were magnificent and we were in a great mood. We had an excellent lunch at the local Wagamama (again, reliability: this is one of those places that always gets it right!) and my friend loved the postmodern Asian food. The Borough Market didn't impress him that much (he doesn't cook) but we had a good time. We visited the Old Vic Operating Theatre (great TA tip!), the Globe Theatre and crossed the Millenium Bridge on the way back to our hotel.

In the evening, it was time for 'We Will Rock You' at the wonderful Dominion Theatre. The show was superb and my friend loved it. Yes, the soryline is a bit silly but this is a musical, not a literary work. Everything else was perfect, though: the performers, the costumes, the humor (anyone can understand the cultural references, regardless of age or nationality) and the timeless music of Queen.

The show lasted almost three hours and we had a train to catch at midnight. We couldn't go to Vapiano for dinner (my friend would have loved it!) and we didn't see Oxford Street. So frustrating! Getting to Victoria Station was an adventure. We went back to the hotel, got our bags, checked out, ran to the tube and arrived in the nick of time (precisely one minute before the Gatwick Express left the station!).

The Gatwick Express is expensive but it's worth it. It's safe, reliable and even more comfortable than its Stanstead sibling. The bus is not even an option to me: it's uncomfortable, exhausting and too risky.

We arrived at the airport 40 minutes later and we stayed at the wonderful Yotel. I really love this place: it's clever, affordable and I couldn't possibly imagine waiting five hours in an airport! There were no problems with the reservations and we woke up in a good mood. The easyjet flight to Madeira left on time, but this wasn't the end of my tribulations: a drunk Portuguese passenger wanted to sit next to me and I didn't let him, so we almost ended up in a fight.

I had a good time in London but I wish I had planned things better: two days are clearly not enough. The business part of the trip was a complete fiasco, but this had nothing to do with the city or the people that live there, of course. I love London and I'm already looking forward for my 2010 trip - but this time, I'll plan things better!

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Report of a disappointing trip to London

Oh, a trip report without Oxford street :-)

I am going next saturday with my family husbond and three kids, and we havn´t planned a bit, except for seeing the lights at Oxford Street and go shopping in Lilly withs and see the crown jewels, should I plan better, I have got the flue at the moment and its not up for anything really.

Better luck next time :-)

Mutter

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,779 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Report of a disappointing trip to London

Business concerns aside it sounds like you had a great London experience. Good old cabbies!!

+++++++++++++++++++++++

OXFORD STREET. Be warned. Last weekend (according to newspaper reports) OXford Street went traffic free, allowing shoppers to use the whole width of the street (road and pavements). The picture I saw in the newspapers showed one of the most crowded and chaotic streets I think I've ever seen. Some reports put the shopping figures in Oxford Street at 2 million people for that one day (how accurate is that? Who knows, but it appeared to be fantastically busy).

So, if you're going to Oxford Street just be warned of the potential for it being busier than you might expect.

Edited: 09 December 2009, 12:46
Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Report of a disappointing trip to London

Wow GingerChimp don´t make me regret my bookings for my London trip before even going lol. Sounds like Oxford street is fulled, but soundz a bit good about no cars ?

Mutter

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,779 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Report of a disappointing trip to London

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1092657

See if that article link works (it says 1½ million on this report).

London
Level Contributor
759 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Report of a disappointing trip to London

I was in Oxford St last Saturday - first time in months as I can't stand the place but I had to go to some specific shops there and the traffic free worked really well. Granted I was in for 10:30 and had left by 13:00 but it was so much easier to get from one place to the other and the shops weren't crazy busy. I assume it would have been a different story in the afternoon. The key to Oxford st is to know exactly where you want to go and get in and out as early as possible in the morning

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
263 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Report of a disappointing trip to London

To me it sounds as if you planned everything you could very well. Business interactions have a mind of their own and I'm sorry to hear yours didn't go well. Ditto with the Izzard show. Your planning didn't make it sub-par. It seems the rest of the trip was good and it's very nice that you had an extra positive taxi experience. Thanks for posting.

Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
867 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Report of a disappointing trip to London

«To me it sounds as if you planned everything you could very well.»

Thanks, Elssie!

In terms of planning, I think I made two serious mistakes:

a) Booking for two days instead of three. I tried to change things the week before, but it was already too late - all hotels in London were fully booked. Next year I'll go on a Wednesday (December 8) and return on Sunday.

b) Staying at easy Hotel Earl's Court instead of easy Hotel Victoria; the latter is more expensive but much better located.

Everything else was fine, I guess.

Thanks for your replies, guys!

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Report of a disappointing trip to London

Sorry to hear about the business appointments. I sympathise completely with you about that. You put time, work and money into a meeting, and the other people don't make a commitment or offer any positive signs. It's debilitating.

Edited: 09 December 2009, 14:35
Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
867 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Report of a disappointing trip to London

«Some reports put the shopping figures in Oxford Street at 2 million people for that one day»

Wow that's impressive!

Maybe it was a good thing that we didn't go there, after all. My friend is an epilectic and he can't stand strong lights or crowded places. In fact, I was a bit afraid that he might feel sick during the Queen musical, but everything was fine and he loved the show.

(I was planning to go to the crowded, sweaty Borderline club to see a punk concert, but I'm so glad I chose We Will Rock You instead!)

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,687 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Report of a disappointing trip to London

Sunday was extremely crowded - not only in Oxford Street, but just about everywhere in central London. I returned on Monday for Xmas shopping (gifts etc.), and in comparison it all seemed nearly empty to me.