We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Show To See

Palm Desert...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What Show To See

If you were going to London and only had time to see one show, which would you choose (I prefer musicals)? I am thinking of "Dancing in the Streets" but haven't heard anything about it.

Thanks for the help!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
829 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Show To See

take a look at the reviews of Mary Poppins. It is fantastic - not just for kids, in my opinion.

BJM
Derby, England
Level Contributor
293 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What Show To See

Billy Elliott is excellent and has a touch of recent British social and political history thrown in.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,151 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Show To See

Dancing In The Streets is a Motown tribute musical and will likely turn up all over the world in due course.

I would suggest seeing something that is less likely to be seen in California in the near future. Billy Elliot certainly is one that comes to mind but tickets are scarce. The other "typically British" musical that you might like is Blood Brothers. Tickets should be available on the web and from the Official Half price TKTS booth in Leicester Square on the morning of the performance.

Reviews and details on the best and worst seats, how to book etc can be found at the very useful www.theatremonkey.com

London, England
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Show To See

Wow.. tough question! There are loads of great shows on in London at the moment. My friend went to see the Mowtown tribute and she was raving about it, i really enjoyed the Rat Pack Tribute at the Savoy theatre, and Guys & Dolls is excellent too. For plays, i can recommend 'A Few Good Men', i saw the previews and it was fantastic. Check out www.officiallondontheatre.com for previews, special offers, etc.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What Show To See

Without a doubt, Billy Elliott. I was so sorry to leave just days before it opened earlier this year. It is getting rave reviews, and I loved the movie.

Winterville, Georgia
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What Show To See

I was there last week 10/17. I saw Guys & Dolls with Ewan McGregor. It was a fabulous performance and definitely worth it. I also saw a local comedy called What the butler saw. It was a last minute decision and was cute. Overall, I'd say Guys and Dolls is the best of the two I saw.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What Show To See

Try to see something you can't see anywhere else in the world, like Mary Poppins or Billy Elliot..

Riverside, Ca.
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What Show To See

I agree, I saw Billy Elliot a few weeks ago. WONDERFUL! You will love it!

Halifax Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What Show To See

It has to be Lion King, unlikley to leave London it is amazing for adults as well as children, I also like Blood Brothers it was sadness and laughter all the way through, but therre are many great shows.

Boston
Level Contributor
923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: What Show To See

My vote, Mamma Mia!