We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backup Plan for Eurostar?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Backup Plan for Eurostar?

Hi--we are scheduled to travel via Eurostar from Paris to London on the 26th. Should/can we make backup plans just in case there are continued problems with Eurostar? Had so much wanted to travel on Eurostar--the last two times visited Paris and London we flew.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Backup Plan for Eurostar?

The cheapest way to do it is on Eurolines coaches, but it does take a while. You can buy tickets on the day (they leave from Victoria coach station) so it's a viable back up plan. Buying airline tickets on the day is an expensive option.

I would imagine things will be returning to normal before the 26th anyway, they are losing thousands of pounds every hour while the service isn't running. Fingers crossed.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,046 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Backup Plan for Eurostar?

Currently Eurostar are saying "after the Christmas break", so 26th may not work, still.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Backup Plan for Eurostar?

<<Should/can we make backup plans just in case there are continued problems with Eurostar?>>

Just heard on the news that Eurostar have instituted their own backup plans, coaches.

Edited: 20 December 2009, 15:36
Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,482 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Backup Plan for Eurostar?

And since there is snow and cold weather here and in northern France the airports are a bit of a mess as well So you are unlikely to get a flight over

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Backup Plan for Eurostar?

Hi--thanks for the prompt responses. Yes, flights are too expensive at this time.

How quickly does Eurolines get booked up? There is only one bus time that works for us on the 26th since we already have theater tickets for that evening in London. Hate spending 95 euros more for a "maybe." Advice?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
592 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Backup Plan for Eurostar?

*groan* I think I'll stay stranded in London before I'll sit on a bus for 9+ hours to get to Paris if the Eurostar's not back up and running by the 24th. I'd better go familiarize myself more thoroughly with what my travel insurance policy covers...

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Backup Plan for Eurostar?

Or you could take the train from London to Dover - take the very large P&O ferry from Dover to Calais in France - and then take a train from Calais to Paris. Obviously, you'd have to stay overnight in Paris.

The train ticket from London to Dover (including as a foot passenger on the ferry to Calais) was about £25 when I did this a couple of years ago.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
592 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Backup Plan for Eurostar?

I'm planning on taking the Eurostar to Paris the morning of the 24th and returning the morning of the 27th. If it's not running by the 24th, I'm hesitant to go to Paris at all, as the friend I'm traveling with has a flight out of Heathrow late afternoon on the 27th, and it would certainly be a problem for her if the trains weren't back up and running by then.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Backup Plan for Eurostar?

lacontessa 1 is asking about travel from Paris to London.

She says in post #5 they have theater tickets for that evening in London.

ian480.

Edited: 20 December 2009, 18:23
U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Backup Plan for Eurostar?

Thing is, it's likely that this is all down to severe weather conditions, UK Ltd. doesn't do severe weather conditions. The chances are that if we get continued snow or severe cold, the roads (that means coaches) will be backed up as with flights into airports if snow or fog. I'm afraid this sort of travel nightmare goes with our territory in deepest winter.

It's hard to recommend an alternarive, Eurostar have said they will lay on coach travel, they have time now to put plans in place and catch up - so I'd tend to stay with them unless you can afford an expensive flight.

Stoofer