We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HEAVY SNOW expected in next 48 hours across London

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
651 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
HEAVY SNOW expected in next 48 hours across London

If any of you guys are planning to travel to Londonor the South East of UK in the next day or so Heavy Snow if forecast to hit tonight.

The Met office is predicting between 10 and 40 cms (4 to 16 inches) If you are flying into/out of London Heathrow, Gatwick, Luton or Stanstead, check with your airlines. In fact check all airports in the UK

This is going to be bigger than the snow dump from last month.

Edited: 05 January 2010, 12:41
London, England
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: HEAVY SNOW expected in next 48 hours across London

Well Greenwich Nick- maybe no snow down by the Thames 2 hours ago where you live, but here, only half a mile or so up the hill from you in Blackheath its falling fast and already 2 inches deep at midnight!

Oh, the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful...

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,307 posts
Save Reply
32. Re: HEAVY SNOW expected in next 48 hours across London

Blimey, Mazza, you have the right idea. Time to stoke up the fire, stay in and make whooppee! ;)

Well, it's settling here now, although it's still not very cold, so I doubt we'll be having any frost fairs ON the Thames this year!

…wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Thames_frost_fairs

^ For London history lovers. :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: HEAVY SNOW expected in next 48 hours across London

Posting from High Wycombe... Snow started last night at about 6-7pm. Pretty think by now. Built a snowman with the kids already.

Felbridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: HEAVY SNOW expected in next 48 hours across London

Several inches of snow here (very near to Gatwick), and still snowing, likely to get heavier this afternoon. Airport currently closed, and probably will be for most of the day,

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
651 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: HEAVY SNOW expected in next 48 hours across London

Still snowing here in Farnham Surrey. I would estimate around 10 iches or so so far. I live on a main road in the town and its deserted, nobody is chancing it.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: HEAVY SNOW expected in next 48 hours across London

I can only speak for Heathrow where Ive just worked a night shift but I can confirm snow ploughs have been operating on the runways throughout the night, and a fleet of adapted vehicles have been working continuously to keep the stands and taxiways clear. Surrounding main roads are also fairly clear.

So far the airport has remained operational, but some flight delays are inevitable. However, its still snowing and more is forecast throughout the day. Anyone planning to travel should continue to monitor the various websites, local radio and tv stations for further information.

BB

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: HEAVY SNOW expected in next 48 hours across London

Central London roads already slushy & the jamcam for our high street shows traffic moving steady & slow.

So apart from wrapping up warm & taking care with icy pavements, it;s all a bit BAU - oh,apart from the cancelled trains & empty supermarket shelves,

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: HEAVY SNOW expected in next 48 hours across London

Roads seem to be fine every from Greenwich inwards. Trains through Greenwich running a reduced but reliable service. Fortunately many people seemed to have taken the chance for a boondoggle, so trains not too crowded.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,210 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: HEAVY SNOW expected in next 48 hours across London

8.30 am in the City.

Not snowing at the moment in the City, but some smow (frost?) remains on the grass. The roads are clear but the pavements are slushy.

The outer parts of the Northen Line and the District line are closed (and possibly other's not mentioned on the BBC news).

There are delays at London airports, but all are or will be open soon.

It is rather pretty here, but walking will be icy and slippery.

Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
13,469 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: HEAVY SNOW expected in next 48 hours across London

No sun showing on Accuweather for our local area or in Reading itself, Joe. Snow of 3 to 8cm today, with NE winds; evening snow with clouds breaking.

On BBC site tomorrow and Friday show sunshine only, so sounds pleasant then!

I'll let you know if I need supplies, Trillian; did you train the foxes yourself? I don't know where you're planning going, but unless it's on a main road you might have a problem. But there are plenty of snowmen to see; not as well-dressed as Mazza's though!

Schools must all be closed around us, as kids are out building more snowmen, along with their parents - guess they've never seen as much in their lives! The Polish builders arrived a little late opposite us, but are hard at work - yesterday they were putting tiles on the roof - brrr!

Keep warm, everybody! ;o)