We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Replying to emails

Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Replying to emails

Hi, can someone tell me the trick to getting someone to reply to accommodation enquiries. My partner and I are travelling to the UK for the first time in April. We are not seasoned travellers, so am trying to do as much research as I can before we leave. (Am very new to the Tripadvisor website) I am finding it a little frustrating though as NO-ONE seems to reply to enquiries. Am trying to get accommodation in London for the first part of our trip, but no-one seems to want us! Does anyone have any suggestions.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,207 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Replying to emails

I sent an email to a London hotel yesterday, and had a response within three hours. I've sent a couple of emails to a letting agency from which I've booked a short stay flat for next month: one email vanished like dust in the wind and the other received a reply within 24 hours.

Short answer is that it depends both on the property / properties you have contacted and (to some extent) the filters on your email account. Some of the replies may have gone straight to the junk mail folder, although some TALFers say that replies from car services tend to be viewed by email accounts as junk rather than hotel emails.

Are you looking to book hotels or short stay flats? Are you using the 'contact us' button at websites or sending emails directly through your account?

Edited: 08 January 2010, 23:56
London, England
Level Contributor
8,540 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Replying to emails

I am trying to book apartment accommodation for our summer holiday in Montenegro. I have received 4 replies in two hours, so really don't understand why nobody replies to you.

I suppose you could try calling them. Land lines in London start with the dialling code 0207 or 0208 followed by 7 digits

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,609 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Replying to emails

Yes, do check your spam folder. I've found several travel email responses there, much to my embarrassment.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,207 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Replying to emails

'Land lines in London start with the dialling code 0207 or 0208' - true that may be, but for those calling the UK from abroad the leading zero is dropped.

If calling, say, 0207 222 1234 from Canada or Australia the number to dial is +44 207 222 1234.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,286 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Replying to emails

Hi sarahfromoz,

Last September I took a 13 day walking trip from one side England to the other. I needed to book all our accommodation prior to arriving. I emailed loads of properties and was very, very frustrated with either the complete lack of, or extreme lateness of, the responses (one hotel emailed 3 months after I got back!). I tried this for a couple of weeks. Half of the properties eventually got back to me, most didn't. And no the responses were not in the junk mail folder.

I finally gave up and started calling properties instead. Calls from Canada to the UK are 3 cents a minute so it was inexpensive but I did have to start calling early in the morning to compensate for the time zone differences.

So my suggestion to you, if you are still having problems, is either call the hotel directly or get a travel agent to do the bookings for you and let them have the joy.

Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Replying to emails

Thanks to all Tripadvisor users for replying to my 'help' question. Have taken all comments on board, perhaps the best thing to do is phone. As mentioned, this is a new experience for me, never having travelled out of Oz before, so appreciate all comments. Can be a little daunting to us newbies.

Regards, Sarah

Sweden
Level Contributor
751 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Replying to emails

Getting responses can be something of a trick, keep your inquire as simple as possible, prefably get all the information in the topic of your mail ie:

"Single room for August 10-14, Mrs OZ"

Every extra question you ask lessens the chance that you will have a response. They probably have lots of mails every day and really don't need a new penpal. Make it look like they are your first and only choice, perhaps complimenting them on their location whithout slipping in any questions.

Just because they have a email address doesn't neccecary mean they actually check it. I guess lots of places has put their daughters ex boyfriend in charge of that, you can try to figure out the odds on getting a reply under those circumstances.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
918 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Replying to emails

Forsberg has excellent advice! Which is consistent with my recent experience, emailing and/or calling about eight different small hotels or B&Bs in London when planning my trip.

I long ago learned the value of a specific email subject line, and this is true when booking hotels as with all other email correspondence. I did get replies from all the places I contacted, but where I had a few questions, the replies weren't quite as fast.

Last year I watched all the episodes of The Hotel Inspector that aired on BBC America (long after, of course, their original showing at home). I checked out the websites of the properties featured on those episodes. Most of the websites were just dire - though none of those were in London. Several seemed to have been created from the same 1996-era template. I had a sinking feeling that the clueless owners were paying someone good money for these execrable sites. I'd assume that those people would not answer their emails or respond to enquiries using their website "contact" features. Either because they wouldn't remember to check their email or because their horrible website wouldn't get it to them anyway.

One of my personal rules these days is: if the website of a business plays music (which annoys me beyond belief), I assume its owners are offline, and if I want to contact them I should phone or use snail mail.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,424 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Replying to emails

<<'Land lines in London start with the dialling code 0207 or 0208' - true that may be, but for those calling the UK from abroad the leading zero is dropped.>>

Not true at all; Landlines in London start with the dialling code 020 followed by an 8-digit local number.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,424 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Replying to emails

<< One of my personal rules these days is: if the website of a business plays music ...

or relies on Flash ...

<< ... (which annoys me beyond belief), I assume its owners are offline, >>

I assume its owners are incompetent and find someone else with whom to do business.