We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are these places convenient?

Calgary
Level Contributor
110 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Are these places convenient?

Hi,

I am planning a holiday in England with my daughter and I might be able to stay at one of the following timeshares with RCI. I would like to know if they are convenient to visiting London.

0794 The Allen House Club

8 Allen St. Kensington, London W8 6BH England

Odessa Wharf

Odessa At Rotherhithe, London SE 16 7LY

Thank you,

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
London
London
England, UK
The Kensington
The Kensington
3,166 Reviews
London, UK
Odessa Wharf
Odessa Wharf
85 Reviews
London, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are these places convenient?

Odessa Wharf is a bit of backwater (ho ho) in south-east London. The development itself is OK, but the surrounding area is still a bit unlovely and rough round the edges. Nearest tube stations would be Canada Water about three-quarters of a mile away, on the less-than-perfect Jubilee line (Jubilee is fine in the week, but it is taken out of service many weekends for improvements work)

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Odessa Wharf
Odessa Wharf
85 Reviews
London, UK
Jubilee Hotel
Jubilee Hotel
327 Reviews
London, UK
Canada Water Cafe
Canada Water Cafe
381 Reviews
London, UK
West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are these places convenient?

Go to www.google.co.uk/maps and type in the postcode (zip code) into the search box; click on the little yellow man and drag it to the location, and you'll see it.

Allen Street is in a very nice location away from the main street but close to an underground station and Hyde Park. The numbers 9 bus and 10 bus would get you into central London even faster. It would be my choice.

Edited: 12 January 2010, 21:56
Mentioned in this post
Hyde Park
Hyde Park
16,950 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,390 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are these places convenient?

Odessa Wharf is too far from central London for a first trip; you'd become v familiar with the buses to and from Canada Water but it's not situated in an area such that you could pop 'home' once or twice during the day.

Allen House, on the other hand, is wonderfully located off Kensington High Streeet. The High Street is lined with shops and services (three grocery stores within a five minute walk), buses aplenty (a much better option than the Underground in my experience) and v nice feel to the neighbourhood.

Allen House oui, Odessa Wharf maybe next time.

Mentioned in this post
The High Street
The High Street
252 Reviews
Tenterden, UK
London
London
England, UK
Odessa Wharf
Odessa Wharf
85 Reviews
London, UK
The Kensington
The Kensington
3,166 Reviews
London, UK
Canada Water Cafe
Canada Water Cafe
381 Reviews
London, UK
Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
943 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are these places convenient?

As an owner at Allen House, I may be not the most independent person to suggest it is far and away better situated. That said, the accommodations at Odessa Wharf are more modern and up to date. The Staff at Allen House are simply outstanding and have handled any request I have ever had for assistance.

I always take the #9 bus which is about a half block away and covers most of the tourist sites. The High Street Kensington Tube Station is only a slightly further distance away.

If I had a choice, I would take the Allen House although if you can get a London trade with RCI it is worth taking. Not many opportunities for a London trade so if one or the other shows up, jump on it soonest.

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
The High Street
The High Street
252 Reviews
Tenterden, UK
London
London
England, UK
Odessa Wharf
Odessa Wharf
85 Reviews
London, UK
The Kensington
The Kensington
3,166 Reviews
London, UK
Calgary
Level Contributor
110 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are these places convenient?

Thank you for the replies. I am trying to trade with RCI, but they told me it is very hard in London. They offered me a two bedroom unit as a getaway at the Ramada Inn for $ 1,729, but I only need a room for my daughter and I and I think that a hotel would be cheaper.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,583 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are these places convenient?

I'm also an owner at the Allen House and we love staying there. If you can get a trade, take it! They are hard to come by. An excellent place to stay.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
190 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are these places convenient?

relations of mine frequently stay at allen house

good apts and first class location---- look no further

8. Re: Are these places convenient?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2010, 08:17