We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions

Northern Kentucky
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions

Hey there fellow TALFers. I was wondering if I could get some suggestions from you. So here's the deal-- When I come over to London in December I am going with a class from my university. The name of the class is Rebels, Rockers, and Revolutionaries: London's Liturature of Protest. I recieved an email from my professor saying we can email him and let him know which British group we want to do a report on. (We are going to have to research the group and give a lecture on them.--This will include listening to their CD and discussing their songs and why they were considered rebels.)

So here are the groups I can choose from-- the Beatles, the S#x Pistols(I hope you know what that word is because Trip advisor says it's bad and won't let me use it), Radiohead, the Clash, and Cornershop. Also if their are any other rebel music groups out there not listed I can try to get him to allow me to report on them.

So since I really don't know much about any of these groups, and have only listened to the Beatles(I catch their songs every once and a while on the oldies station), I was just wondering and hoping that I could get suggestions. If you had to pick one of these groups who would you choose?

California
Level Contributor
101 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions

The Beatles are awesome. They have great music & an interesting story. And there's a museum in Liverpool & a tour you can take. You definitely wouldn't have any problems finding information or coming up with stuff to write about them.

My boss is really into hardcore punk music (major rebels, don't you think), so he loves New Order (from Manchester, I think & I forget their original name--my boss isn't here right now or I'd ask him) and Echo & The Bunnymen (from Liverpool). I know New Order has an interesting background--I think their lead singer committed suicide when he was in the bloom of his success, from what I understand.

london
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions

That's a hard one, collegetrekker - a strange choice of bands. Maybe you should do a bit of research into them to see if there's something about one of them that captures your imagination. But for what it's worth, here's my opinion.

I'd avoid the Beatles as it's a huge subject - a 10 year story involving the whole social history of 60s Britain and you'd come a cropper if you didn't do a large amount of research. And no doubt your lecturer will know a lot about them and easily pick your work to pieces if you don't get it right.

The S@x Pistols is a pretty straightforward story to research: you could read John Lydon and Malcom McClaren's autobiographies, watch the films The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle and Sid and Nancy, talk to British people about them when you're here. They made a big impact so you'd get a lot of info/opinions without much trouble. If you know something about punk or are interested, this might be the one for you.

The Clash were posturing phoneys so I wouldn't bother with them (cue angry response from other posters).

Cornershop are British Asians from Leicester so you'd have to do a lot of cultural research there, with less material as they're so recent. I'd say they'd be tricky to do.

Radiohead, again might be tricky to grasp if you're not into their music to begin with.

Are there no contemporary British bands that you like that would fit the bill? Or a genre of British music that you like? For example, if it was my assignment, I would choose The 70s/80s ska band the Specials and Jerry Dammers because the political and racial issues they were about covered an era that made a big impact on me as a child.

Hope this helps a bit.

Southampton...
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions

IMHO, the Clash don't even belong in the same post as the Beatles (oops, but I just did it also!). Don't get me wrong, I liked a couple of Clash songs (Rock the Casbah is still fun to listen to), but they're totally in a different class from the Beatles.

I'm a real nowhere man,

DaddyO

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions

Im with Daddyo - I would definitely choose the Beatles.

london
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions

Thinking about it, there is another S@x Pistols biography, The Filth and the Fury which would help. And they played very few gigs, so it would be easy to visit the clubs where they played in London, eg the 100 Club. And you could also write about their infamous Thames boat trip on the day of the Queen's Silver Jubilee when they were arrested. Yep, that would be my choice as the easiest option.

London, United...
Level Contributor
981 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions

Well I would never include the Beatles in a 'Rebel music group' list - but two bands I would include in my 'rebel' list would be "The Who" and "Guns and Roses"

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions

number59 they may not seem like rebels to you now but they wrere considered rebels at the time. Their hair was considered quite shocking! Dont forget Lennons comment about the Beatles being more popular than God in US horrified Americans.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions

As one who wore spikey hair and safety pins in the mid 70s, I'd choose the Beatles as they fit all three criteria.

It's a huge undertaking though so if you do choose them maybe just select one album or period to work on; listen to the music and see what you like best.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions

anemone- I never took you for a punk rocker! Your name conjures up flowers- more Laura Ashley style.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,384 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions

The Pistols...John Lydon was much more clever than anyone knew, esp Malcolm McLaren. His book 'No Dogs, No Irish, No Blacks' is quite a read. Poor Sid was ... well, poor Sid. Not the brightest spark, and what he did in his spare time didn't do much to help.

Lurve, lurve, LURVE The Clash. Joe Strummer was the son of a diplomat, also bright and well spoken. One of the coolest guys ever. Great music, great band.

The Jam were great, and a new two disc set has just been released. Interesting in that Paul Weller was a little Tory until he left Croydon.

The Specials were fab, but might not fit in the Rockers category - nope, I don't think you can get two-tone in there.

Then we could offer The Stranglers - the original Men In Black from Guildford. Often decried as misogynists, never media friendly, 'short haired hippies' (John Lydon's view) - they didn't give a toss, but made some swell albums. Great stuff.