We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

books on beer/pubs

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
688 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
books on beer/pubs

Has anyone read any of these? If so any thoughts? The titles sounded interesting to those who want to know more about beer or pubs (for purposes of their travel to London of course)

London by Pub by Ted Bruning

Beer: The Story of the Pint: The History of Britain's Most Popular Drink by Martin Cornell

Man Walks into a Pub: A Sociable History of Beer by Pete Brown

Historic pubs of London by Ted Bruning

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
427 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: books on beer/pubs

Both of Brunings books are very enjoyable. Historic Pubs is more of a coffee table book (although not the typical size of such). It's a great primer on the classic pubs. I would recommend it for the newbie who just wants a reference guide to the best places. London by Pub is more comprehensive in its information. Both have pubs listed by geographical areas.

Man Walks Into A Pub is not so much a reference guide as it is stories and history. Good read for the plane ride over the pond.

Haven't read Cornell's book.

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,301 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: books on beer/pubs

Sounds interesting and all could be good supplements to the Camra Good Beer Guide. I have four of those. Pub

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
688 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: books on beer/pubs

Thanks guys

london
Level Contributor
946 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: books on beer/pubs

this chap is a recognised authority with many books (& pints) under his belt)

http://www.beerhunter.com/

YellowSubmarine
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: books on beer/pubs

not really in the same mode, but we read Martha Grimes' Richard Jury series of detective mystery books, and the title of every one is the name of a pub in UK somewhere (except there was one where they came to US for something... forget the name of that one). All good names, interesting books.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
427 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: books on beer/pubs

I agree with Stempler about Michael Jackson (the beerhunter, not the gloved one). He is arguably the foremost authority on beer. I just wish he would update his website more often.

london
Level Contributor
946 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: books on beer/pubs

Yes, to look at the website, you'd think the guy was small time but he has done some fantastic books

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: books on beer/pubs

I have "The Good Pub Guide" on the way from Amazon. It would be interesting to compare it to "The Good Beer Guide"

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: books on beer/pubs

I have the Historic Pubs of London. DrJ6 is right - it's a small coffee table book. Excellent photos and good descriptions of each pub. Working my way thru the book with each visit.

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: books on beer/pubs

I'm resurrecting this thread just to give an update on my experiences with "The Good Pub Guide" 2006 edition.

It's been well worth it. We often just strike out in one direction in the car and use the guide to figure out what village(s) to stop in. We've gone down many roads that I would never have bothered with and have been well rewared. I meet lots of local people in pubs, and talking about other pubs is a favorite conversation of pub goers and publicans. However good local knowledge is, it's very local and I've found many people competely unaware of some great little pub only a few miles away. That's where the book has really paid for itself. Of course, I've been to some nice little pubs that local put me on to that aren't in the guide book.

I don't agree 100% with the guide book, I think it's missed some good pubs in Somerset (where we live and explore the most pubs) and over praised some others. But it's never sent me to a bad pub (but I did get bad food at one place.)

I wouldn't recommend the book if all you needed was a London pub guide, however. It's not that it recommends bad pubs in London, it's just that fancyapint.com does a much better job.