We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chester day trip..

New Orleans, La
Level Contributor
167 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Chester day trip..

I went to Chester years ago on a Sunday morning with a coach tour. I can't recall seeing or doing very much as it was one of those "cram as much as you can into six days" trips. I am considering a return visit. Should I?

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,771 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chester day trip..

Definitely, yes. But if you are planning a day trip up from London you are again going to be very rushed, although the train service is very much better than it once was.

In the past, posters on this forum have suggested that Chester can be 'done' easily in a few hours. However, to get the full benefit of a walk round the walls, a visit to the cathedral, the amphitheatre, shopping in the Rows, the river (at least a stroll along the Groves and possibly a boat trip) the Grosvenor Museum to see plus finding the hidden gems of Chester (eg.St John's church, what remains of the Norman castle and much more) is going to take more than a few hours.

Have at least an overnight stay. You won't regret it.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,771 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chester day trip..

Apologies for the unfinished sentence. It was meant to read: A visit to the Grosvenor Museum to see Roman finds from around Chester.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chester day trip..

I agree with CB - yes it is well worth doing and stay overnight if possible. But even if you can only come for the day. It's still worth it.

For a one day itinerary, start with a walk round the walls. That's the one thing you must not miss! Then lunch in one of the many cafes, bars or restaurants. That'll fortify you for an afternoon of browsing the shops and the really interesting and quirky architecture of the Rows. They're really unique with their Roman foundations, medieval timbered undercrofts and galleries; and Tudor-styled Victoria embellishments; yet still serving today as a 21st century shopping centre.

Fit in a visit to the Cathedral if you've time. Then a quick afternoon tea either in the Grosvenor Hotel or another lovely cafe and then back to the station for your journey back to London.

Have fun.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,208 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chester day trip..

Good idea! Thre trains from Euston Station take just over 2 hours each way and run with some frequency. Some journeys are direct and some involve one change of train.

I have done it as a day-return, but I agree that if you can stay overnight, your time there will be more relaxed. You may also find that the hotel costs a bit less than the one in London, so even if you leave in the morning you may gain in two ways.

Or, for another cople of hours on the train, you could go on to Windermere in the Lake District.

London is great, but so is seeing the rest of the UK and a train is a good way to do it.

If you buy your ticket in advance, it will costs a lot less.

ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/s/planjourney/query

california
Level Contributor
792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Chester day trip..

I sure wouldn't go shopping and have tea on a one day trip. However, if that's your thing....I liked Chester a lot just roaming around.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chester day trip..

I suspect that when Cheshire Cat refered to Afternoon tea, s/he was not referring to the time consuming event put on at posh hotels in London for toursts, but the respectable tea and cake(s) that are partaken by Cheshire shoppers before they go home.