We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London eye - advanced bookings

Sheffield
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
London eye - advanced bookings

Hi,

Me and Partner are off to London next weekend (29th - 31st) and are wanting to go on London Eye - would like to book ahead if possible, but obviously want to wait untila bit closer to time so we know what weather (might) be like!!

Main question is - if you book online do you just get an "e-ticket" or do they send actual tickets out to home address?

Does anyone have any recommendations of when's best to go? We arrive in London early friday afternoon, and leave approx 4pm on the sunday. We're staying at the Rubens so i'd like to see changing of the guard on the saturday

All advice gratefully received as bit daunted - first time back to London in 10 years!!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
461 reviews
from US$105.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,500 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London eye - advanced bookings

Personally Ive never pre-booked the London Eye, much better to wait and see what the weather is like on the day. Not much point being on it if its foggy for example.

I doubt there will be much of a queue at this time of the year, even in busy times the longest Ive had to wait is 25 minutes.

BB

London & Paris
Level Contributor
3,130 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London eye - advanced bookings

Last time we went, we checked the weather forecast the previous day and booked online. As far as I remember, you insert your credit card (the one you used to make the bookings) into the machine in the ticket hall and it produces the tickets.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London eye - advanced bookings

I booked in advance and I got a voucher. I printed it out and exchangedd it for real tickets at the counter. It's convenient and cheaper too.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
638 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London eye - advanced bookings

Does it really save time of waiting in queue ? I mean, I would like to do it in July and I know it is the tourist season and the queue are very long. Everytime I've been in London, I had wish to do the London Eye but I stepped back because of the long waiting. If I buy ticket in advance, will I be able to enter faster ?

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
2,745 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London eye - advanced bookings

You definitely want a clear day to ride the London Eye. We were there in December with no waiting. We bought our tickets, watched the movie, and walked right on the London Eye with no waiting. In the gift shop they sell View 360 which would be nice to buy ahead of your ride and take up with you. It tells you what the buildings are that you are looking at. We got some amazing photos of the London Eye from all angles and of the scenery when we rode. Have a great time.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,055 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London eye - advanced bookings

alberto - I think it depends. If everyone books in advance there will be a queue to pick up tickets,and then the normal queue to get on.

There are ways to jump the queue, but the simplest thing is to go at a quiet time, usually early or at dusk (which is a good time anyway).

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
638 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London eye - advanced bookings

Thank you peterscot. I think we will try at dust, it is a good idea. :-)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London eye - advanced bookings

We booked about lunchtime for a flight later in the afternoon the same day. It was a busy day, being New Years Day. It definitely saved time queuing for tickets. We just went to the prebooked counter and told them the booking number. We still had to queue for over half on hour to actually get on. You only get priority if you pay extra.

The weather nad visibility varies so much I would not book earlier than the same day unless you know you have a run of very clear weather.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London eye - advanced bookings

If you can pre-book on the previous day (or even on the day) then it is a good idea. Otherwise, you might get stuck with lousy weather and then you'll realise that it would have been better to queue and pay one more quid. :-)

I have to add that I've been to the London Eye 3 times at different times of day and year and the queue was never too big. All 3 times I didn't have to wait for more than 10 minutes to get my tix and for more than 5 minutes to board.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London eye - advanced bookings

Thanks for the replies - just wanted to get a feeling of what other people have done, so that we get the best out of stay in London.

Really looking forward to it now!