We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week vacation in england

chapmandsd
1 post
Save Topic
2 week vacation in england

our family is taking a 2 week trip to england the first week of june.(we were stationed at raf lakenheath from 1984-1989) we are flying into heathrow or gatwick, not sure which as i have not purchased the airline tickets yet. we think it would be best to fly in, rent a car and head out of london. we will be using the train and subway but know when we leave the airport we dont want to be dragging luggage on the train lol. we have no set plans on where we will stay or visit. we wonder if we should purchase pounds before we leave or purchase them there. we are retired military but dont know if we can utilize the base banks or if our rate will be different than active duty. don't know if we can stay in tlf on base but if not that is ok. how about driving, do we need anything more than our drivers license and passports? is there a way to get something sent to us from the british tourist bureau? anything you can tell us would be helpful, thanks sheila

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,474 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 week vacation in england

Currency while travelling abroad use a Debit Card, your bank can advise. Driving licences must have a minimum validity of twelve months, to drive a vehicle no more than 3.5 tonnes.

www.visitbritain.com

Newquay, United...
Destination Expert
for Newquay, Cornwall
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 week vacation in england

Hi chapman, Have you thought about coming to Cornwall for a few days.

Beautiful coast line and you can fly from London.

Oooooops Sorry,

http://www.visitcornwall.com/

http://www.google.co.uk/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1I7DKUK_en&q=visit+cornwall+uk&meta=cr=countryUK|countryGB&aq=f&oq=

Edited: 01 February 2010, 16:30
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 week vacation in england

Welcome to the forum - you'll find lots of good info here. : )

As mentioned, using your ATM card to get cash is the best way to go. There are ATM machines everywhere, including the airport terminals.

If you will be staying in London, you do NOT want to have a car. Driving, parking costs and congestion charges are insane. You can hire a car service to take you into London and then use the tube and buses while in London.

On the www.visitbritain.com site, if you click on the

Contact Us link at the very bottom of the page, it will give you a link where you can request brochures. You might also want to pick up a good guide book to help in your initial planning. I like the DK Eyewitness books.

And this site has loads of info!

Happy planning!!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 week vacation in england

What are you interested in seeing? That would determine where to head. London itself is wonderful and you can do lots of day trips by train. If you pack light, luggage is no problem on the train (see Rick Steve's site for ideas)- we have traveled to the UK and Europe for trips up to 3 weeks long with 1 carry-on each ( mine usually weighs about 12-15 lb and hubby's will weigh less than 10 lb). I also carry a day bag and sometimes so does he. We always travel by train and bus. We NEVER have driven (more tan 40 tirps in 20+ years). I'll put a link to an article I wrote about basing in London and doing day trips by train at the end of my post. Are you interested in Scotland or Wales? Do you want lots of museums? Lots of outdoor/adventure sutff? The more info you give us, the more relevant our suggesstions. Feel free to contact me.

aaacarolinas.com/Magazine/…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
247 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 week vacation in england

Frommer's Britain's Best-Loved Driving Tours might interest you. It has 30 itineraries -- "descriptions, directions and tips for 30 diverse trips throughout the countryside and urban areas of Britain" and "more than 100 full-color photos and maps". It's available from bookstores, Amazon and

frommers.com/store/best_loved_driving_tours.…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
247 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 week vacation in england

Sorry, the link I gave may not work as it should, but entering the title in the search box should bring up the correct page.

7. Re: 2 week vacation in england

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2010, 07:17