We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stansted Express train service - 77 minutes and 3 station...

London
1 post
Save Topic
Stansted Express train service - 77 minutes and 3 station...

As a regular traveller to Europe, and as it seems, particularly from Stansted Airport, my partner and I have tried all methods of transport available to reach the Airport.

We have caught the Stansted Express three times, and for the most recent two trips the train has been delayed to the extent that WE HAVE MISSED OUR FLIGHTS!

On Friday just passed, the 4th of November, our flight with EasyJet was due to depart at 7.45pm.

We caught the 6.00pm Stansted Express which is advertised as a "45 minute express service" to Stansted, expecting to arrive at around 6.45pm - allowing 1 hour before departure.

However, the train was delayed throughout the whole journey. Despite the delays, and that the train is supposed to be an "express", the driver then stopped at THREE STATIONS on the way to the airport!

Many of the other passengers were also in shock.

Arrival time at Stansted? 7.17pm - total journey time of 77 MINUTES! And, as any low-cost airline traveller will know, the check-in for Easyjet closes 30 minutes before departure (at 7.15pm). Hence, we (and 11 other passengers) were not permitted to check in.

As I mentioned, this is the second time the Stansted Express has been delayed so much that we missed our flights.

Stansted Express is totally unreliable, and can hardly call itself Express!

Share your experience with the service!

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stansted Express train service - 77 minutes and 3 station...

The one time I thought about catching this train; the fare was more than leaving my car in the short term park for 2 days and it wasn't running so I would have had to catch the replacement bus.

Anyway, if you only allow yourself 30 minutes from train arrival; to get up from the platform, find the correct check in desk, queue up and book in, you don't have my sympathy.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stansted Express train service - 77 minutes and 3 station...

When travelling with low cost airlines you need to allow plenty of time to check-in as they're unforgiving if you miss a flight and can even close the check-in for a flight anything up to 40 mins before departure.

For your 7.45am departure I would have been there by 5am at the latest.

While I agree the train delays are annoying you didn't give yourself enough time for your journey and check-in. One hour is not enough for Easyjet/Ryan air type airlines.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Stansted Express train service - 77 minutes and 3 station...

Um, if you keep missing planes then perhaps you are not giving yourself enough time to get to the airport; departure at 7:45 be at airport at 5:45--easy!

London, England
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stansted Express train service - 77 minutes and 3 station...

Tube to Stratford and get the bus. Or give up holidays and stay home.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stansted Express train service - 77 minutes and 3 station...

I agree with the others that you didn't allow yourself enough time to get there especially with London transport and flying on budget carriers.

77 minutes is a long journey and a 30 minute delay is always frustrating but unfortunately delayed and cancelled trains are part of every day life for us commuters. I would say that the Stansted Express is an express train, Stansted airport is a long way out of London and it would take you much longer to get there using alternative public transport.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stansted Express train service - 77 minutes and 3 station...

Agree with the others. You need to give yourself more time. I don't like rushing to the airport. I usually allow 2 hours before the flight. Both times I've taken the Stansted Express it got me there in 45 min. Wound up in the first group. I have no problem spending time at the airport.

N Ireland
Level Contributor
266 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stansted Express train service - 77 minutes and 3 station...

I had a similar experience travelling from Kings Cross to Luton with Thameslink recently. The train was 50 minutes late! Fortunately I had allowed enough time and I managed to check in with just minutes to spare. However the train journey became very stressful as it gradually began to dawn on me that I might miss the check-in deadline.

Those of you who take the attitude "Oh well, Daheso didn't allow enough time & doesn't deserve any sympathy", are not only very smug - they are totally missing the point. Why do people in Britain put up with this sort of lousy service in such a supine way. People who accept that this is the way things are & & cannot be changed are simply underpinning the present standard. An airport train service for one of the major cities of the world that with a scheduled journey tine of 43 minutes that runs 50 minutes late is a complete joke! The rail companies were privatised, supposedly to eliminate those sort of 3rd world/eastern bloc standards.

The point is that everybody should be screaming the house down to force changes.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stansted Express train service - 77 minutes and 3 station...

We are not smug and we are not missing the point. All airlines and travel agencies recommend that you arrive at the airport 2 hours before your scheduled flight so planning to leave Liverpool Street station for a 45 minute journey allowing you 30 minutes to get from the train station to check in desk is madness. If daheso had of left LP St station at 5.00 or 5.30 and still managed to miss the 7.45pm flight then I would be sympathetic.

London, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stansted Express train service - 77 minutes and 3 station...

Kieran1001 raises a good point though - we are generally, as a public, far too accepting of delays, even minor, with the transport operators.

Obviously, delays happen, but the grin-and-bear-it mentality is a British thing that is to our detriment on something like this.

I filled out the compensation form for the recent Northern Line delays and received £4 vouchers for future travel purchases. I was not the only person in my office who's morning commute was disrupted, but I know many of them have done nothing about it.

N Ireland
Level Contributor
266 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stansted Express train service - 77 minutes and 3 station...

I beg to differ Londongirl2005. Daheso urged people to in the final sentence of the post to "Share your experience with the service!"

In other words - complain because its a rubbish service. Daheso didn't ask to be pilloried by you lot. Your behaviour is just gratuitously rude and you have contributed nothing other than stating the obvious.