We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair / Easyjet / others

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Ryanair / Easyjet / others

I'm reading some complaints that people have had their flights cancelled or changed. Is this a regular routine for these cheap airlines. I plan to book my flights at the soonest available chance. Need I be worried? Other than starting my own riot in an airport how can I be assured that my vacation won't be destroyed by changes? Looks like BMI allows more weight than these other airlines but it doesn't go to the same cities.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,230 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryanair / Easyjet / others

I fly Easyjet all the time, and (knock wood), have never had a cancellation. Flights have been delayed a bit, yes, but never any real problems. You have the same assurance with these carriers as with the bigger carriers - they are all governed by the Civil Aviation Authority (Ryanair is actually governed by the Irish Aviation Authority, as it is registered in Ireland), and adhere to their policies re: compensation, etc. But, as you know, cancellations can occur for a variety of reasons, some of which are wholly unpredictable. I wouldn't worry, but it is always wise to purchase travel insurance in any event.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryanair / Easyjet / others

I fly 2-3 times a year with Ryanair out of Stanstead and have never heard of a cancelled flight.

Check on www.skyscanner.net for cheap flights.

london
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryanair / Easyjet / others

I've never had a cancelled flight either. I'm sure it does happen but if it was frequent we'd all know about it.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryanair / Easyjet / others

Thanks folks. Possibly the concerns that people have had were in the early stages of these companies and I'm sure with everything the bugs get worked out. They know when people are going to be flying and don't book flights if the demand isn't there. I'm less concerned about the money than about having my travel plans screwed up ~> I'm sure everyone understands that. Apparently the earlier you book the better prices that you get.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,051 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryanair / Easyjet / others

Some people do have good luck with the LCCs, but others not so much - read the reviews of Ryanair at www.airlinequality.com about the cancelled flight in Pisa on 27 October.

BMI seems quite good, though, and Air Berlin very good for a low cost carrier - you can book a seat with them instead of dealing with a rugger scrum to get onboard.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryanair / Easyjet / others

Thanks for that site Traveller ~> I hope I don't have a panic attack after reading it.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ryanair / Easyjet / others

I fly regularly with both RyanAir and EasyJet and my experience in over 100 flights is that most of the time they are reliable and punctual. Indeed, they often arrive ahead of schedule. I have had a RyanAir flight that was rescheduled eight hours earlier (airport in use by heads of state!) but I did get six weeks advance notice by e-mail. I also had an EasyJet flight delayed overnight because of aircraft defects but they provided 4 star overnight accommodation, completed the flight the next day and refunded the flight cost.

Things will inevitably go wrong in any operation. If an aircraft is unservicable it is frustrating but I would prefer to wait while they fix it. Unfortunately because of their no frills business model they have no passenger agents of their own on the ground so when things do go wrong, the lack of information exacerbates the frustration.

That said, I have no hesitation in recommending them. They have modern reliable fleets and breakdowns seem to be rare. Don't expect a travel experience, it is just a means of getting from A to B without drama.

On the principle that people vote with their feet it's worth noting that RyanAir now claim to be carrying 35 million passengers per annum.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ryanair / Easyjet / others

Thanks Dexter. It's reassuring to know that they would inform you of changes well in advance.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ryanair / Easyjet / others

Like others, I've never had a Ryanair cancellation in 40 trips- but whaddaya expect for their typical cost of 30 GBP return (which is less than it costs to take the train to the airport and have a sandwich there!). Go for it

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ryanair / Easyjet / others

I know alex ~> the cost difference between ground travel and air is phenomenal.