We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riots

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Riots

I haven't been in the TA forums that long, but I was just wondering if in July after the bombing in London if people were freaking out in this forum like they are in the Paris forum. People are cancelling trips due to riots that are happening in the burbs of Paris no where near the tourist locations. Maybe I live a wreckless carefree life but shortly after the London bombings I booked my hotel accomodations in London and plan on riding the tube night and day several times.

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The English Bus
City Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Cultural Tours
London Black Taxi Tours
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,285 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riots

It always looks worse on TV. I lived in Belfast during some of the worst of the troubles and never saw anything.

2. Re: Riots

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2005, 15:52
london
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Riots

I think every one in London just got on with things fine in July in fact any one who was at the spontaneous street party in Shepards Bush will happily testify to this. Can't get home on the tube? Are you going to let the terroists get you down? No way, lets wheel out a big sound system, have some beers and show them what a fantastic city London is! All faces all races, from suits to scallys, for me this was the perfect response.

london
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Riots

Oh yeah, forgot to add, any one remember the film "La Haine"? Looks a lot like history repeating itself in Paris... Some lessons are never learnt.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riots

Thanks for your thoughts folks. Glad to see that London knows how to party in the midst of troubles. That's what gets people through!

USA
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riots

"Maybe I live a wreckless carefree life..."

What does good driving have to do with anything?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riots

Middle you're hilarious ~> welcome to the UK from Paris.

UK
Level Contributor
457 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Riots

As much as I would dearly love to see it work, sadly multi-culturism doesn't work,not least because too many different types of people from so many various backgrounds etc living in one Country carry too many chips on their shoulders. Living in harmony appears to be the farthest thing from their minds, nor does there appear to be a willingness to abdide by that Country's Laws. And how do you stop Discrimnation? It is Human Nature to discrimnate against anything and everything-Call it Choice if you will. I don't like that, instead I like something else-what's wrong with that? This is a fact of life-it is neither right nor is it wrong.People who are welcomed into other Countries should abide by their Laws and take up that County's culture, especially if they also become a Citizen of that Country. If by performance this is unacceptable those very people who were welcomed with open hearts and arms should rememember one thing: They also have the Right to Leave that Country if they are unhappy there, but once there, for goodness sake don't start demanding the Country owes you a living-It doesn't. At the end of the day there are billions of people living on this planet and the sad fact of that is: Some of us are lucky and some are not! Heartless no-But that's how things have always been, are, and shall always be.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,293 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riots

Excellent article by the BBC's John Simpson:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4414442.stm

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riots

It would take more than a few riots to cancel my trip - maybe if I was going to some African country but not Europe- the army and security forces are organised enough to crush the fools. It is a bunce of near 'do wells causing a fuss. Its hardly the French Revolution all over again. AS someone said - you keep your head down and nose clean - Paris is a big city and the chances you would run into it is slim.

Same as the recent troubles in the UK - where the IRA was active we used to be shopping all the time and the mall would receive bomb threats - hardly caused a blink.

Life goes on and yes - you do have a thought at the back of your mind (and if intelligent a emergency plan)but it should never stop you travellling.

Its like the people of New York refusing to live in high rise towers, or the people of California standing under doorways all day in case there is an earthquake. The people of the mid-west dont burrow in the earth and live there permanently in cause of twisters - both California and the Mid-west are more likely to suffer a disaster and harm more people than any riot in Paris or bomb in London so why would you stop travelling.

Andy