We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with Royal Day Out timing

milford, pa
Level Contributor
112 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
help with Royal Day Out timing

I am working on my august itinerary and I have searched the forum and I have had no luck in finding out-------daughter and I want to do the Royal Day Out at Buckingham Palace and then venture on to the National Gallery. It would be a saturday. I am not sure when to do the timed Queens Gallery. I was thinking since it is a Saturday get into Buckingham Palace first to beat the crowds, do mews and then do the timed Queens Gallery. We could then head to the National Gallery for a few hours.

We would get to the Palace when it opens.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help with Royal Day Out timing

I would do the palace tour first. It will take you a good two+ hours - fabulous tour. When you exit the palace tour, you are routed through the back garden, so it is a bit of a walk back to the Royal Mews and Queen's Gallery. But there are some pubs and cafes along the way if you want to stop off for lunch and a sit-down.

Then, I'd go through the Mews (probably won't take more than an hour.) Then head to the Queen's Gallery where you can spend as much or as little time there as you'd like.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with Royal Day Out timing

How much time you spend in The Queen's Galley depends on your interest in the Exhibition that is on at the time of your visit.

milford, pa
Level Contributor
112 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help with Royal Day Out timing

Does anyone recommend the Private Tour for around 65 pounds? It is offered one of the days I am there. I do have a teenage daughter so I am not sure paying the extra money to see it would be worth it. It does look interesting from my point of view. I could then do what you have recommended Palace then mews.

Thanks for your comments.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help with Royal Day Out timing

I haven't done the private tour, but have done the regular one a couple of times. I'm sure the private tour is very nice and would be very special, but we didn't feel at all cheated by just taking the regular tour.

On the regular tour, you are given an audio headset as you enter and the tour is entirely self-paced. It takes about 2 hours to go through all the rooms, then, as with all tours worth their salt, you finish in the gift shop and cafe before walking through the back garden to the exit.

I believe I remember reading a trip report here on TALF from someone who had been on the private tour and it did sound quite nice.

Edited: 11 February 2010, 17:21
5. Re: help with Royal Day Out timing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2010, 07:18