We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around London- Need Transportation advice!

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Getting around London- Need Transportation advice!

Hello!

My mom and I will be arriving at LHR on March 11 in the early afternoon. We are flying BA from Phoenix, AZ (not sure what Terminal we will arrive in). We have no real public transportation here in Phoenix, so I have never been on a subway or anything like it! I need some help figuring out what will be the best means of transportation for us!

1. We will need to get from LHR to our B & B near Victoria Station. We are staying at Morgan House- if that helps.

2. My mom wants to do one of the Hop-on-Hop-off bus tours on our first full day.

3. We will be staying Friday, Sat, Sunday, Monday nights and then on Tuesday catching the Eurostar to Paris for 1 night. I already have purchased our Eurostar tickets.

4. I would really like to buy the "rail pass"?? that has the 2 for 1 deals.

Please help me figure out the best way to get around! How and where do I buy my underground passes?

Thanks for the help!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around London- Need Transportation advice!

www.daysoutguide.co.uk

That site describes the 2-4-1 system. Basically, buy a *paper* Travelcard for the zones you want to travel in (Zones 1 and 2 are the most central and have the most tourist sights).

Buy the Travelcard from a *railway* station, NOT a Tube (underground) station.

Endless advice on here about how to go about it,if you do a search. You'll probably land at terminal 5,and then you can take the tube or bus to Victoria. I'm sure there is a Top Question of FAQ about this....

This site has a journeyplanner, which is indispensable-

www.tfl.gov.uk

and it gaves you maps, fares etc.

Please make sure the attractions you want to see actually charge money - many museums and galleries are free

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around London- Need Transportation advice!

I should have said - buy your one-way ticket from Heathrow to Victoria (around £5), and then buy your Travelcard from Victoria, probably on the second day, once you have settled in to your hotel.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around London- Need Transportation advice!

Thanks for the advice! This may seem like a dumb question but........

what is the difference between a rail station and an underground station? When I go to Victoria Station to buy the rail pass, are there 2 seperate stations? Or can you describe it a bit for me?

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,400 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around London- Need Transportation advice!

The underground station is beneath the mainline station. You will see signs all over the place pointing the way down to it.

Edited: 13 February 2010, 17:49
East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around London- Need Transportation advice!

<< This may sound like a dumb question>>

No it doesnt, especially if you havent been to London before. Underground

( aka tube ) stations are identifiable by the famous red circle with a blue line through the centret, with the station name in on it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground

Just to confuse things slightly most of the suburban Underground stations are above ground, and the trains run above ground also, until they get closer to the city centre. But the logo is the same.

BB

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around London- Need Transportation advice!

The Underground (Tube) stations service the London Underground system, while the rail stations service the mainline trains that go all over the country.

Typically, the tube is the transportation you'll use for getting around London. The trains are for getting to/from further afield. : )

If you purchase a travelcard from an Underground station, they will (in most cases) load your ticket onto an Oyster card (looks like a plastic credit card.) If purchased at a tube station, it can't be used for the 2 for 1 deals.

If you purchase your travelcard at one of the rail stations, you'll get a thin cardboard ticket with the rail symbol on it and this can be used for the 2 for 1 deals.

The Oyster is more convenient, but you don't get the discounts.

They are indeed two seperate stations, but often within the same building. At Victoria, when you exit the tube, you can exit into Victoria rail station. Just follow the signs for the rail station (the red crows feet.)

Edited: 13 February 2010, 18:44
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,421 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting around London- Need Transportation advice!

I'm going to guess that you're flying with BA, and will arrive at T5. A couple of things to keep in mind about your arrival (and maybe departure) is that a good number of long haul services use T5B, the satellite terminal building, or arrive at a remote stand, which means stairs down from the plane to the apron then a bus ride to the terminal building.

T5B means a long hike from arrival to passport control, including a short ride on a free transit train; the remote stand arrrivals are better (in a way) as the bus drops you very near passport control.

The link below shows the location of the ticket office at Victoria mainline station, just in front of the M&S Simply Food (number 18).

networkrail.co.uk/documents/…20Map.pdf

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting around London- Need Transportation advice!

You guys are really helpful! Thanks!

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting around London- Need Transportation advice!

And remember, if this chick from nowhere Kansas can navigate the London underground, anyone can! It's actually pretty fun once you get the swing of it.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,116 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting around London- Need Transportation advice!

The Victoria Coach Station is actually closer to your hotel than the rail/underground station, and the walk (a couple of blocks) would be much quieter and less frazzling. Follow the signs at Heathrow for the coach station there. It will be a little slower than the Underground but much more comfortable. (I've stayed in Ebury Street several times and that's my preferred way of getting there.) Cost is about 5 GBP. Then you can plunge into the fray of the main line station once you've freshened up and shed your luggage.