We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adavance purchase atrain tickets and 2 for 1 admissions

California
Level Contributor
175 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Adavance purchase atrain tickets and 2 for 1 admissions

We plan to take Southern from Southampton to London Victoria on May 8th, then take take Southern from London to Gatwick on May 12th. I think these 2 trips qualify for the days Out 2 for 1 admissions.

I would like to purchase the train tickets on-line to take advantage of the advance purchase savings. If I purchase on-line, will the tickets still qualify for the Days Out 2 for 1?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,886 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adavance purchase atrain tickets and 2 for 1 admissions

The rail tickets for the two for one offers must be valid the day you use the offers. If you leave Southampton early-ish in the morning and plan to do a bit of sightseeing in London that day then yes, the tickets from Southampton to London will be valid for the offers.

The tickets from London to Gatwick might not be valid, though. The FAQs at daysoutguide.co.uk indicate '...available with almost any type of train tickets issued to (key word there) London or to the Attraction Destination...' Since your tickets will be for a departure from the city, they may not be viewed as valid for that day. If you have plans for a late departure to Gatwick and will do a bit of sightseeing before leaving London you may be able to buy integrated rail tickets / Travelcards from the Southern booking office, as they will be valid for the offers.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adavance purchase atrain tickets and 2 for 1 admissions

Tickets between Southampton and London and between Gatwick and London aren't normally any cheaper as advance purchases.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Adavance purchase atrain tickets and 2 for 1 admissions

<<Tickets between Southampton and London and between Gatwick and London aren't normally any cheaper as advance purchases.>>

They are though - megatrain have quite a few services between London and Southampton (though no good for 2 for 1) and Southern offer cheap advance purchases (at £3 or £5 normally) on the Gatwick route

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adavance purchase atrain tickets and 2 for 1 admissions

I keep forgetting about Megatrain.

Edited: 14 February 2010, 10:38
Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,277 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adavance purchase atrain tickets and 2 for 1 admissions

Your train tickets are valid for 2-for-1 discounts for the period from your journey TO London and your journey FROM London (both days inclusive) but you MUST keep your used 'outward' tickets with your unused 'return' tickets and show them both, to establish the period of validity between the two journeys. This is standard practice when travelling on Advance tickets, which are only issued as singles. The fact that your Advance singles are in and out of London from/to different places is not relevant. You have a journey to London and 2-for-1 is valid for the period of that journey.

If you put your 'outward' tickets in the automatic barrier at Victoria and they get swallowed at the end of your journey, tough. Keep your tickets and go through the manual gates.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adavance purchase atrain tickets and 2 for 1 admissions

> you MUST keep your used 'outward' tickets with your unused 'return' tickets and show them both, <

I would have thought that this was the case only if you have bought two singles, yes? I have in front of me as I type the return ticket for a journey to Salisbury that I made recently using as two-part return, and that clearly shows both the "start date" and "Valid until" date.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Adavance purchase atrain tickets and 2 for 1 admissions

Here's a picture of a return ticket, showing validity dates: http://tinyurl.com/yfy3rax

Edited: 14 February 2010, 11:46
Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,277 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Adavance purchase atrain tickets and 2 for 1 admissions

> you MUST keep your used 'outward' tickets with your unused 'return' tickets and show them both, -- I would have thought that this was the case only if you have bought two singles, yes? <

Yes, hence '' round 'outward' and 'return'

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Adavance purchase atrain tickets and 2 for 1 admissions

I'm a bit unclear here, Bobelinks - are you saying that even if you have the return half of an OUT/RTN pair of tickets that is printed with the "start" and "valid to" dates that isn't enough to show the period of validity of the ticket for teh 2-for-1 deals?

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,277 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Adavance purchase atrain tickets and 2 for 1 admissions

No, the return half of a Return is acceptable as it has the period of validity shown.

If you are using two Singles to make up a pseudo-return then you need the outbound Single as well as the return Single.