We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding outfit

Jersey, CI
13 posts
Save Topic
Wedding outfit

I'm sure you can help. I will be in London for 5 days just after Easter with my Husband. I need to buy an outfit for myself for my Daughter's wedding in May. When I've visited London before I have mainly shopped in the big stores along Oxford Street and have got a personal shopper booked at Debenhams for one of the mornings (Can't believe this is a free service!).

Can anyone suggest somewhere I might get something "a little different"? or a retailer who is still independent? I'm mid 40s, standard size 12/14 and have a budget up to £500. I have been looking online and quite like Gina Bacconi, Condici, Cameron Blake but don't want to buy without trying on. I'll be staying in Central London and I'm happy to use the tube. I wondered if Westfield was worth a visit?

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks. Karen

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
461 reviews
from US$105.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,657 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding outfit

I would not bother with Westfield its very nice but --

I suggest that as well as Debenhams (Oxford Street ) you look at DH Evans (a house of Fraiser store ) that is a bit more upmarket (its next door ) also the John Lewis (next to D H Evans)

Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,974 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding outfit

I would add Selfridges to your list they should have some ranges within your budget, also Fenwick on New Bond Street, and (although slightly further out from Oxford Street) Harvey Nicholls. Hope you find something.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,657 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding outfit

If you want to add Harvey Nicks to your list the 137 bus from Oxford Street goes there !!

Surrey
Level Contributor
187 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding outfit

Just to add to the other posts...DH Evans is now just called House of Fraser in case you look for it and can't see it! John Lewis is a very good bet as has many ladies concessions as well as their own brand clothes. Enjoy shopping!

UK
Level Contributor
2,912 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding outfit

Here are two places I found very helpful when looking for a wedding outfit last year:

http://www.paddycampbell.co.uk/

http://new.carolinecharles.co.uk/cms/

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding outfit

LK Bennett may be very well worth a look, several branches in Central London - check out their website too. They have concession strores in, I think, John Lewis & House of Fraser in Oxford Street.

Jersey, CI
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding outfit

Thanks for the advice - I'll have a look at the department store websites.

Thanks again

london
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding outfit

Selfridges have a personal shopping service which is great as it's pretty overwhelming to navigate - others probably do too.

Jersey, CI
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding outfit

Thanks Hickney - I have a Personal Shopper booked at Debenhams and I'm waiting for John Lewis to reply to me. I was put off Selfridges because they told me that their Personal Shoppers pick from high end designers only so gathered they would be out of my budget.

Thanks again.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wedding outfit

I'm desperately squeezing my mind to remember which shop had a basement department with amazing dresses, very suitable for the mother of the bride.

It was either Monsoon or FCUK on Oxford Street. I went down one floor and I was surrounded by amazing dresses, all between 250-450 quid. My mum came down after me and she gave me one of her nasty when-are-you-going-to-get-married-and-give-me-the-chance-to wear-one-of-those looks. I called her to ask and she said that she thinks it was Monsoon but I have my doubts.

Edited: 15 February 2010, 10:03