We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in London - is this doable??

Brazil
5 posts
Save Topic
One day in London - is this doable??

A friend and I are going to a spend one day in London in June. We’ll be arriving from Paris (Eurostar) at 9:00 am and will return at 8:00 pm the same day. She’s never been to London before and just wants to see some attractions and also do the London Eye.

I’ve been to London a few times and I came up with this itinerary which I know is a little bit too much, but would like to know if you Londoners think it is doable.

The plan is:

Arrive in St Pancras, take the bus n. 17 to St. Paul’s Cathedral. Cross the Milenium Bridge, go to Tate Modern and take a look inside. Walk on the southbank until the London Eye. We are planning to buy the ticket online (risking bad weather) and book the “flight” for 11:30.

From the Eye, cross Westminster bridge and walk to Buckingham Palace, across St. James’ Park. From the Palace, walk to Trafalgar Sq. Have lunch at the National Gallery or the Café on Crypt (or any other niceish place around - suggestions?).

After lunch, take the bus 12 or 15 to Oxford Circus, so we can see Piccadilly Circus and the shops on Regent St. and Oxford St.

From there, I thought we could take the tube to Covent Garden and just go to a pub and have a pint around there (suggestions for a traditional and nice pub in the area are welcome!) .

If we leave Covent Garden at 6:30, will we have enough time to board our train?

Thank you so much for taking your time to help us tourists. Any comments and suggestions are very welcome.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in London - is this doable??

I can see you have done some research, which is good, and its probably do-able but .....London in less than a day ?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in London - is this doable??

"Cross the Milenium Bridge, go to Tate Modern and take a look inside.>>

and that is all you can do,unfortunately,is have a quick look. is there a way to extend your stay by at least one day? that is just not enough time to do this wonderful city any justice whizzing in and out and past all the great things to see and do.

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in London - is this doable??

Not a Londoner, but I would be tempted to store my luggage for overnight and bring a backpack for one overnight in London if you really want to see so much of the city, but I can understand your desire to see London even if for a day trip. Walking is certainly a better way ro see the sights than underground and doable re distance yet rather time consuming, be prepared to stay rather flexable. However, have you thought perhaps lunch after the Eye in Westminister, and then taking a black cab through the park to Buckingham Palace and then driving up to Bond St and Oxford Circus, and then the tube back down to Green Park (or Piccadilly) and Trafalgar Sq? More expensive certainly but after spending all the money on the Eurostar it may be more doable in a single day as your looking at hitting different corners of Hyde Park. The cabbies are an experience in themselves and an easy way to do a makeshift tour if outside rushhour. They are well trained to show you around.

Check-in is at least 30 minutes early for trip back to Paris, so others will be better qualified to suggest when exactly to leave for Pancras.

T

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in London - is this doable??

Also look at the HopOnHopOff buses if the weather is nice, they have a line that travels past most you want to do. You can pick it up near the Eye or Westminister. I think its a 2 hour trip, and then the allow time if you want off.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,047 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in London - is this doable??

Your time is very limited, but you should be able to carry out your plans as long as no snags appear on the transport front. One thing that doesn't quite work, though, is to take the Underground from Regent Street or Oxford Street to Covent Garden, unless you were planning to take the Central line from Oxford Circus to Holborn and then walk.

Since the Piccadilly line is the only one serving Covent Garden you may be better off taking a 6, 13 or 15 bus from Oxford Street back to the Strand for Covent Garden. With the eastbound lane of Oxford Street closed from Great Titchfield Street to Tottenham Court Road, there are no eastbound buses along that stretch of Oxford Street, so the numbers 8 and 25 are out.

If you leave Covent Garden by 1830 you should have enough time to make your way to St Pancras for a 2000 departure.

Brazil
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in London - is this doable??

Thank you very much for your comments. I know London has so much more to offer, and that what we are going to see is just a fraction of a fraction of what the city has to offer. But. We live in Brazil, and do not have much chance to cross that ocean... And we'll be in Paris on business, so the whole idea is just to have a glimpse of London.

I hadn't really thought about taxis (stupid I know!) so thank you for mentioning that!

Again, I really appreciate you taking your time to help me.

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in London - is this doable??

If you do use the taxis, make sure they are the real Black Cabs with meters (btw, the Black cabs come in all different colors these days).

T

Brazil
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: One day in London - is this doable??

I was thinking of taking the Central line to Holborn and then the Piccadilly line to Covent Garden. Is there a problem there? The other option would be the Bakerloo line to Piccadilly Circus and then Piccadilly line to COvent Garden.

But I will be flexible here and see what we can do in June. I always like buses, so thanks for the information about Oxford Street. Cheers!

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day in London - is this doable??

You do seem to be walking quite a long way (that's just a "gut feel" but I suggest that you check it out).

If you are feeling a bit lazy, base the trip on detours from the No15 bus route (buy 1 day travel cards) starting at Tower Hill/Tower of London (the City is always bustling at that time of day and you can just take a quick look at both these sights) and getting it to St Pauls. I guess that woud ruin your plans to be at the London Eye by 11:30, though.

Personally, I quite like to get to Covent Garden from Oxford St by wandering down the back street of Soho and Chinatown - try starting at Libertys on Regent St (you sound like you know London fairly well).

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,429 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One day in London - is this doable??

Re getting from Oxford Street to Covent Garden - if you are at the eastern end near Tottenham Court Road then it will be just as quick to walk but if you are at the other end near Marble Arch then I would take the Central line to Holborn and then walk from there. Turn left out of the station onto Kingsway, cross the main road and turn right onto Great Queen Street which leads into Long Acre. You will see Covent Garden tube ahead on the left. Turn left into James Street and the Piazza is ahead of you. Ten minutes max.