We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for Last Two Nights of London Trip

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
25 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for Last Two Nights of London Trip

Hi,

We are bringing our two children (ages 12 and 15) to London for the first time in mid June. We have rented a mews house in Belgravia for the first week and have two additional nights before we return to the US. We aren't sure whether to just book into a hotel in London for those nights or to try to get out of town. We'd love to try a country house hotel but are concerned about getting to Heathrow for our return flight on Monday morning(we need to be there by 11am). We are planning day trips to Stratford-upon-Avon, Bath and Stonehenge. Any suggestions of what we could reasonably do with this time?

Essex
Level Contributor
27,771 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for Last Two Nights of London Trip

EASY would be to go and stay in Windsor, you could stop off there on your way back from Cotswolds. Plenty to do - Windsor Castle, walks/trips along the river (Thames) Eaton college, perhaps if you are lucky, there will be a Race Meeting at the pleasant little course (horses). NOT far from Heathrow but you need to get a taxi or private hire car, no trains or buses that I am aware of.....

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for Last Two Nights of London Trip

Windsor is a very nice town with lovely shops, restaurants, and tea shops, but prebooking a car sevice will be needed to get to Heathrow, you could also stay in Windsor one night and travel to a airport hotel another. Trains and buses tend to require a few changes, and I think a train to Paddington back to LHR is a crazy option. I think even a train to Hampton Court Palace requires a trip into London first to connect in Waterloo.

T

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
25 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for Last Two Nights of London Trip

We are definitely using either a taxi or car service to get back to Heathrow- I can't even imagine the nightmare of trying to use public transportation dragging two weeks worth of luggage for four people! Windsor is a great idea- I'm going to look into hotels now!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for Last Two Nights of London Trip

While you're in the Windsor area I would recommend spending a few hours at Cliveden which has some interesting US and UK history. There are beautiful grounds and topiary, as well as excellent short walks down to the river.

They do a nice tea there too in the main hotel and it will give you a very good taste of a grand English mansion. Only 15 minutes from Windsor but you'll need a car/cab to get there and back really.

http://www.clivedenhouse.co.uk/default.asp

Edited: 17 February 2010, 13:44
Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,886 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for Last Two Nights of London Trip

If you stayed in Windsor, you certainly wouldn't need to change to an airport hotel the night before. Prebooked taxi should cost about £20; and outside of rush hour should take about 20 mins; even though it looks like you need to be there for rush hour, it still *shouldn't* (touch wood) take more than about 30 minutes. The drivers should also know the back routes to avoid the M25.

Sorry about all the 'shoulds' in that paragraph.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
190 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for Last Two Nights of London Trip

Cliveden is the ultimate country house hotel set on the banks of the thames and not far from windsor

you could also look up oakley court hotel another little gem

London
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations for Last Two Nights of London Trip

I agree with Windsor though not sure that your children would appreciate Cilveden. Stay in town if you can, do the Castle, river boat trip etc, maybe even Legoland. Also check out a trip to Thorpe Park, again one for the children and not too far away

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations for Last Two Nights of London Trip

I would do Cliveden over Stonehenge any day. It is a far better use of time - however, I am not the OP - but am still continually amazed at how many of our US friends have a fascination for a bunch of stones.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendations for Last Two Nights of London Trip

We enjoyed the Castle Hotel in Windsor. Across the street from Windsor Castle. Do try to do a Thames cruise while there. You get a nice view of the castle from a different perspective. Also, wander over to Eaton, walk the Long Mile and see Windsor Great Park.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,886 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendations for Last Two Nights of London Trip

To pepperwhitemini - Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ;-) Fortunately I'm off out to Kew, so that's all you'll get from me, LOL!

Legoland really is aimed at the under 12s, so I suspect teens may not enjoy it as much as say, Thorpe Park.