We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

are the tower bridge and london bridge the same bridge?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
co,antrim
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
are the tower bridge and london bridge the same bridge?

going to london in April and I want to do the london bridge and tombs, but I've been reading about tower bridge attraction and want to do this as well` are the two different attractions at the one bridge?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: are the tower bridge and london bridge the same bridge?

They are different bridges.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,642 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: are the tower bridge and london bridge the same bridge?

You are not alone in thinking that!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_Bridge

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Bridge

co,antrim
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: are the tower bridge and london bridge the same bridge?

thanks for the quick response, I'll plan my visit for the two bridges, thanks again

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: are the tower bridge and london bridge the same bridge?

And here you can read about the move of London Bridge to the States:

thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/…

Manchester
Level Contributor
780 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: are the tower bridge and london bridge the same bridge?

They are not even in the same country.

The original London Bridge (with all the shops and houses on it) is long lost, and its John Rennie designed replacement was sold and transported to Lake Havasu City, Arizona in 1971. The modern bridge is a depressingly uninspiring edifice.

Tower Bridge is the iconic if mock bridge near the Tower of London. I say mock because the bridge is actually a steel suspension bridge - the famous stonework towers are pure Victorian Gothic fancy and serve no practical purpose.

London
Level Contributor
312 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: are the tower bridge and london bridge the same bridge?

"the famous stonework towers are pure Victorian Gothic fancy and serve no practical purpose."

Is that true? To lift the cantilevered bridge don't the towers at least in pat conceal the hydrawulic workings that raise and lower the platforms? Also, I think's it's only suspended between the tower and the bank - the rest of it looks like some sort fo cantilever? (not a civil engineer, sorry).

Anyway, back to the original post - you can stand on London Bridge and get a good view of Tower Bridge, and the walk between the two on the south bank is very pleasant.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,783 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: are the tower bridge and london bridge the same bridge?

I thought the London Bridge Experience to be good, cheesy fun, so long as you don't pay full price; the Tower Bridge exhibits interesting if you're into engineering (which I'm not). Liked the view though.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: are the tower bridge and london bridge the same bridge?

"the famous stonework towers are pure Victorian Gothic fancy and serve no practical purpose"

Not quite true. One of the requirements for the new bridge was that pedestrians could still cross the bridge whilst boats could still access the area between the new bridge and London bridge. The winning design, i.e. todays Tower Bridge, had the 2 towers to support the walkway above as well as providing access to the walkway. That way when the bridge was raised people could still cross the bridge by using the upper walkway.

The upper walkway was eventually closed though lack of use as most people perferred to wait until they were able to cross the bridge again at street level and of course watch the spectacle of the bridge being raised.

The 2 Towers today contain lifts which take people to the upper walkway so that people can visit the Tower Bridge exhibition which of course explains all about what I've said above.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,642 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: are the tower bridge and london bridge the same bridge?

The upper walkway was also closed as it attracted two other less than desirable (to the Victorians) types, suicides and ladies of the night.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: are the tower bridge and london bridge the same bridge?

Thanks for the ckarification! I always thought that Tower Bridge was London Bridge. I mean, that was the bridge in the Fergie video, right?

**Amber**