We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timing of day trip to Dover

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Level Contributor
16,049 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Timing of day trip to Dover

For those who have done a day trip to Dover, how early to you generally need to be there to get tickets to the wartime tunnel tour? The national heritage site says tickets can sell out by midday. The reason I ask is that on the St Pancras-Dover Priory train, the off peak tickets are about 1/2 the price of the anytime tickets. The first one has a change in Ashford and gets to Dover at 11:01, and the next one has no changes and gets to Dover at 11:21. If we get there at 11:21, plus time to get to the castle, do you think we will still get tickets to the tunnel tours? I really don't want to pay twice the price for the train to go earlier.

We would be going either 7 June or 8 June 2010 (Mon or Tues).

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,049 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Timing of day trip to Dover

Another question on this topic, how much time would you recommend for seeing the castle and possibly the bronze age boat? If we arrive at 11:20 and leave at 16:44, would that be enough time? Also, do the trains generally run on time? They were right on time in France, but I haven't taken trains in the UK yet, so I don't know if I should count on the arrival time scheduled or allow extra time for them to be late.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Timing of day trip to Dover

I would think you'd still be able to get tickets for the tunnels by noon-ish.

(Big Hint: take a taxi from the train station to the castle. It is a long, rather steep climb up to the castle! It didn't take us long to realize why the castle had never been breached by the enemies!!)

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,049 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Timing of day trip to Dover

Thanks for the tip. I assume there will be taxis waiting at the station?

London
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Timing of day trip to Dover

Hey

I would use the guide we recently used, he does all england tours, would pick you up, drive you there and do the full tour. very good price as far as i was concered, PM me if you want the details.

Tom

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
733 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Timing of day trip to Dover

I am wondering about the taxis at the station also?

Can anyone tell us if you purchase the tunnel tour tickets at the main entrance or do you have to go elsewhere?

6. Re: Timing of day trip to Dover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2010, 07:18