We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on this itinerary please

Level Contributor
733 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on this itinerary please

We are arriving in May for a week in London. Our first time.

I was hoping you could look over my itinerary I am trying to put together.

I am just wanting to know if I have everything nearby in the correct day?

Do you think I am missing anything important?

There are three of us and I am trying to accomodate everyone's most important wishes.

Also I am still wishing we could stop in Greenwich.

Is it possble to stop there on the way back from Dover?

Or maybe come back to London and then go to Greenwich?

Also wanted to do a London Walks Beatle Tour but I think I will have to forego that as I don't think there is a space in the itinerary.

We are staying in the Trinity Square area.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Arrive Gatwick 7am

Ride to apartment/ rest a while

HMS Belfast pm ( Is there anything else I could move here in place of this as something easy for our arrival day or should I leave it ?)

Tower of London Right across street so we should be there early

Imperial War Museum

London Eye- see it/ maybe ride

Covent Garden-evening/dinner

Should we start at Westminster Abbey first to avoid the lines?

Is the order OK?

Buckingham Palace outside only since not open for tours

Big Ben

Cabinet War Rooms

Westminster Abbey

Trafalgar Square-evening/dinner

Windsor Castle on our own

St Pauls-late pm on way back

Ceremony of Keys 930pm

Royal Air Force Museum

Kensington Palace – late pm

Piccadilly Circus

Bath and Stonehenge probably a bus tour

Depart by train for Paris

The English Bus
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
England Experience Tours
Multi-day Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips, Historical & Heritage Tours
Day Tours London
Day Trips, Bus Tours
West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on this itinerary please

Day 1 Sunday: what time will you be able to check into your hotel or apartment? If you are staying at Trinity Square then you could easily take a 30-minute boat ride from there to Greenwich to have a meal in the market or by the river.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,799 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on this itinerary please

My first suggestion is that you get a proper map of London and plot the places you want to visit - as it stands you have several places that are in easy walking distance of each other on different days and days where what you want to visit are widely spaced apart.

And don't think you can go out of central London then do another major attraction later - invariably you'll get back later than you expect or run late and have to rush things. If you go out of central London then do something later that either doesn't cost much or takes a short period of time to do

And Dover is a day trip from London - it's an hour by the fast (and expensive) trains and two hours by the normal trains. Have you considered going to Dover then taking a ferry to Calais in order to catch the train to Paris?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on this itinerary please

the question isn't do we think you may miss something,but rather,what do you want to see and do? just realize in a week,you can't possible see and do everything you want. sit down with the people who are traveling with you and perhaps compromise on some sites and if they want to go off on their own,that is fine also.I can understand that you want to get it right,so try not to make yourself crazy if you can't see it all. I might change St.Paul's to the same day you see Towerof london/london eye,instead of seeing it when you come back from Windsor .the trip to Windsor will be a long day,if you see the Castle and walk around the town.

Level Contributor
17,562 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on this itinerary please

Here's my advice (for what it's worth):

If you feel ok on day 1, you can go to Greenwich that day. It's easy to go from London. The amount of time you spend there depends on what you want to do. Our first time we spent a longish half day there and did the market and the observatory (relaxed) with a river cruise back to London. The second time we only did the market and took the DLR both ways and it only took us maybe 3 hours. HMS Belfast took a couple of hours to do fairly in depth although I spent a little less time at the end because I wanted to go to a London Walk.

Day 2

If you only want to see the London Eye, you can see it when you go to Westminster Abbey, Houses of Parliament, it's right there.

Day 3

Check when it gets dark when you are there. I would start at the Westminster Tube station, walk past Houses of Parliament/Big Ben (they're right there when you come out of the station), then Westminster Abbey, then it will probably be lunch time (depending on how long you spend there, I can spend a long time), then Cabinet War Rooms (the War Rooms themselves take maybe 1.5 hours, but you can spend several more in the Churchill Museum depending on how interested you are in him.), then either London Eye (if you want to ride on it) or walk to Buckingham Palace. London Eye is open late and you can see the outside of it anytime it's light out.

Day 4 looks fine. Consider evensong at St Pauls, we loved it. I think it's sung on Wed, but you can check on their website.

Day 5 nothing to add

Day 6 RAF museum very good if you like airplanes (obvious, I know). Look at the opening times on the website as different buildings are open at different times. If you want to see the Battle of Britain presentation, it's way in by the Battle of Britain planes. There weren't any signs to tell you this when you came in, so I missed the first showing of it. I didn't see everything there, and I was there from opening to about 3 or 4 PM I think. Don't know the hours of Kensington Palace, so I don't know how that fits in. I think it took me about 45 min each way to get to/from the RAF museum from Russell Square including walking from the tube station. Not a whole lot to see at Picadilly Circus, but you can see it at night if you like neon signs.

Day 7 no advice on this.

Level Contributor
733 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on this itinerary please

thank you so much for the help and advice

At this time we are unsure if we will be able to get into the apartment early upon arrival. Right now no one is booked before us so if that remains the same we will be OK. Otherwise they have said they will hold our luggage.

So maybe Greenwich would be more relaxing than the Belfast.

But we will have to do the Belfast another day. My husband and son are ww 2 buffs and thus the imperial war museum and the RAF museum.

I will look over my itinerary again and all of your advice.

Level Contributor
17,562 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on this itinerary please

HMS Belfast is near Tower of London (relatively) but I don't think you could fit it in if you are also doing IWM that day. If you could move Dover to the last day when you are going to Paris, that would give you another day on which you could do IWM

Edited: 05 March 2010, 02:52
7. Re: Advice on this itinerary please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2010, 07:16
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question