We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Coast Rail--postal code /phone number

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
tennessee
Level Contributor
441 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
East Coast Rail--postal code /phone number

I am in the US, trying to book a trip online, from London to Edinburgh, on East Coast Rail. I can't seem to get them to accept my postal code. (I tried the 5-digit code, the 5-digit + 4 digit, a code on my credit card site that seems to be 5+4 +2, and all of the above preceded by my state two-letter abbreviation.I put dashes in and left them out. However, the East Coast site wouldn't take any of them.)

Then, I tried to email them for help, but I'm not formatting my phone number the correct way, so they won't take the email. What do I need to put before my 10-digit US number?

They do also give a phone number: 084-57 225 111. Would prefacing that with 011 44 get me anywhere?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
108 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East Coast Rail--postal code /phone number

I am having the same postcode problem with the National Express East Coast website. I think we are referring to the same site? I keep getting the "postcode incorrect" error even though I am entering the correct postcode (and MULTIPLE options, like you mentioned).

I, however, was able to get an email to go through to them asking for assistance. It wasn't helpful. They basically told me all the steps I needed to do (which I am already doing) and said that if that didn't work, it was a problem with my bank, not them. I have contacted my bank though and they assure me that my card isn't being denied on their end, that it is being blocked before it even reaches them - which I pretty much figured because the error is not a "card denied", it's a "postcode" error.

Anyways, if you figure anything out, please post here! I really don't want to have to call for reservations because my long distance plan is terrible and costs a fortune.

albuquerque, new...
Level Contributor
277 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East Coast Rail--postal code /phone number

Amazing.........I had this very same problem about two nights ago. I was trying to use my Visa card to purchase the train fare. Got the exact error message multiple times. My husband even tried it. No luck. I was finally successful when I used my Amex card. Don't know what the difference is!!

tennessee
Level Contributor
441 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: East Coast Rail--postal code /phone number

My first attempt was with a Visa card, so I just tried a Mastercard, but no dice. They still don't like any of the post codes that I have entered.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,640 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: East Coast Rail--postal code /phone number

Are you trying to get the tickets delivered to your home - if so you can't and have to use the fasticket option

http://eastcoast.co.uk/help/

London, England
Level Contributor
7,850 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: East Coast Rail--postal code /phone number

I think what alanrow says is correct. I have a friend who lives in Denver and always has difficulty in booking UK train tickets.

I normally book them for her and give them to her when she gets to the UK. I know that doesn't solve the problem for those who don't have that facility, but just thought it might give you a clue as to why the site won't accept your bookings.

tennessee
Level Contributor
441 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: East Coast Rail--postal code /phone number

I am not trying to get the tickets delivered to me--I had planned to pick them up at Kings Cross. I am just trying to get a cheap price and a seat. I did use the "international address" page, but the website keeps saying I do not have a correct post code.

Maybe I am out of luck--I suppose I could try telephoning them, like an earlier poster (on another thread) said he/she had to do, because of a "glitch" related to the post code.

Stockport
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: East Coast Rail--postal code /phone number

It may just be a temporary site error.

I tried to buy a ticket via eastcoast on the 2nd, UK address/UK credit card and it kept failing with errors about the billing address and such. I've never had a problem before. Maybe give them a few days to sort themselves out and try again.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: East Coast Rail--postal code /phone number

This is a problem that used to occur several years ago with this site but they seemed to have fixed it. When I had that problem I used Raileasy.co.uk for a few bookings, which worked perfectly fine. Raileasy does have some negative reports on TALF about poor customer service, but in my case there were no issues--just be sure to choose Fastticket pick-up to get your tickets. Just about any railway company in the UK should be able to sell what you need as they all use the same central database to issue tickets. Prices should not vary much if at all. I do not know which ones support US/foreign sales off their sites, but I would start with some of the bigger companies to see which will work (East Midlands, Southern Rail, etc.--there are quite a few). The Eastcoast site has been solid for several years, so hopefully this is a momentary glitch.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: East Coast Rail--postal code /phone number

I cannot see why they would need a post code of a non-UK resident. And it sounds as if they are trying to be too clever. There are many different formats used around the world, and some counties that don't have them at all, Virtually none are the same as those in Britain which hone down to about a dozen postal delivery addresses.

tennessee
Level Contributor
441 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: East Coast Rail--postal code /phone number

In case anyone else has this problem, here is how I resolved it.

Today, East Coast still would not accept the post code I gave them (which was supposed to agree with the postal code on my credit card--and indeed the one I gave them did). By this time, the cost of the ticket on East Coast had gone up 20 pounds from when I first started trying (from 29 to 49).

So, I went to trainline. They were a bit more expensive, and had a processing and credit card fee as well, so the final cost was 60 pounds. Double what I thought I'd be paying, but at least I have a reservation, and don't have to fool with this anymore.