We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wimbledon 2010 Logistics- Help Please

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
83 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Wimbledon 2010 Logistics- Help Please

We got 2 Court 1 tickets for June 24, 2010-second round I believe. 4 of us are traveling together and will be staying in London (le Meridien Picadilly). We would all like to go to Wimbledon but have some concern: What are our chances of getting at least ground passes for the other 2 people. Can the ticket holders go everywhere the ground pass holders can go? What is the best way to get from London to Wimbledon? What time should we arrive there to have the best chance for all of us to get in?

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
7,462 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wimbledon 2010 Logistics- Help Please

1) Should be able to get a ground pass so long as you queue early enough

2) Ticket holders can go everywhere a ground pas holder can go.

3) Underground train to Southfields

4) Most probably need to start queueing no later than 8.00am

Have a good day

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
83 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wimbledon 2010 Logistics- Help Please

Thanks for your help! A few more questions: Can we walk from the Underground station? What time at night does the tennis usually end? Any other tips for a novice going to Wimbledon?

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wimbledon 2010 Logistics- Help Please

You can walk from Southfields. Don't worry about where to go - just follow the crowds. It's quite a walk but the atmosphere is great and you'll get freebies along the way.

The tennis will go on until it gets dark. We've been there till 10pm.

Enjoy.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
83 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wimbledon 2010 Logistics- Help Please

Thanks again for the great info! We are 2 moms taking our high school varsity tennis team daughters to Wimbledon for a graduation gift. If we let them have the court 1 tickets, will we be bored hanging around all day or is there plenty for us to see and do?

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wimbledon 2010 Logistics- Help Please

Bored? Not unless you don't want to watch the tennis.

There will be matches on 19 courts, only 4 of which require tickets. That early in the tournament there will be loads of matches all day. You can also watch the action on the show courts via the big screen. If you are not into tennis then there are shops, bars, restaurants etc or you could just sit in the sun.

Seems a shame not to give it a try though.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
83 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wimbledon 2010 Logistics- Help Please

Thanks again! I didn't intend to sound silly...I had no idea that you can watch matches with a grounds pass only. I thought you still needed tickets. Since I have never been there I cannot even imagine what it is like. So you really think that if we get there by 8:00 we will be able to get a grounds pass? Is there any way to get a grounds pass prior to going? Sorry to sound so confused :) You have been so helpful-

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wimbledon 2010 Logistics- Help Please

Not silly at all.

If you want to watch tennis you'll have plenty to do. There will be loads of matches on. Just look at the schedule and take a seat on the court of your choice. Depending who's playing you might not get into a particular court but if you don't mind who you watch there are always seats.

Unfortunately the only way to get a ground pass is to join the queue. You WILL get in although it's hard to say how long you'll queue. Your girls can go ahead and meet you later though.

Once you're in, you can go to the returned ticket booth later in the day and get show court tickets for £5. This works well at about 5 or 6 o'clock when some people leave.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
83 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wimbledon 2010 Logistics- Help Please

Can you please give me some specifics about timing my arrival at Wimbledon. If we want to be quing by 8:00, what time should we leave our hotel,The Meridien Picadilly? I assume we go to the Picadilly tube but then what? Where do we transfer and how long can we expect it to take?

Thanks so much for your help!!

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,315 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wimbledon 2010 Logistics- Help Please

You need to get a westbound PIccadilly Line to Earl's Court and then a District Line train going to Wimbledon (not all trains from the platform go there).

It shouldn't take more than an hour.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,397 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wimbledon 2010 Logistics- Help Please

I'm not that keen on the change from Piccadilly line to District line at Earl's Court as it's fussy: lift up to the ticket hall from the Piccadilly line then stairs back down to platforms 3 and 4 for the District line.

An alternate way to make the journey is to take the number 38 bus from Piccadilly Circus to Victoria and then a District line train towards Wimbledon from there; the train from Victoria will take about 25 minutes to Southfields. You can take the 493 bus towards Tooting from there if you don't want to walk to the grounds as it stops just across from the main entrance of the grounds.