We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advertising in the UK...do you have any ads you love, hate...

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
346 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Advertising in the UK...do you have any ads you love, hate...

TALFers,

One of the things I'll be doing in London is studying ad campaigns and talking to people about them. In addition, I will be looking to see how the same products are marketed in the US and in the UK. I am curious as to what ads stand out, what they are advertising, are they effective, do you like / loathe them....and that sort of thing. I would love to have an idea of what to expect when I arrive. Thanks to all in advance.

1. Re: Advertising in the UK...do you have any ads you love, hate...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2005, 03:47
Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advertising in the UK...do you have any ads you love, hate...

I remember seeing a Capital One commercial in the UK that was just like the one shown in the US except the main character's voice had an English accent. I thought, "Hmm, saved some bucks there."

And I don't recall seeing any of those annoying homemade car dealer ads where the owner/spokesman yells at the camera.

I definitely prefer watching prime time tv in the UK because they have fewer commercial breaks than in the US which makes for more pleasant viewing.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advertising in the UK...do you have any ads you love, hate...

I think the British made adverts are far superior to those in the U.S. They are very clever and sometimes it doesn't click until half way through what the clip is all about. Little mini dramas or very funny comedy sketches are often used to sell products in Britain. U.S. adverts are more blatant, alot of them advertising food or insurance and repeating the phone number 3 or 4 times in case you're too stupid to get it the first time. Very 'in your face', not much subtlety and more to the point, too many of them!! Perhaps they could fit a T.V. show or something in between all the ads.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
346 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advertising in the UK...do you have any ads you love, hate...

Serafinsgirl,

Thanks for the reply. That is exactly what I am looking for. I'm not sure that ad would work in the US. I'm not sure why exactly. Perhaps it would in certain places. I think products are marketed here in an attempt to offend the least amount of people, perhaps because of lingering purtitan values and assumptions. In a way it reminds me of ABFAB, and the way Patsy and Adina were always so mean to Saffy. I know that show had an American following, but that type of situation is not seen as funny by a lot of Americans and would not usually be found on American television.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advertising in the UK...do you have any ads you love, hate...

In 2001 and 2003 there was a series of ads on the Tube trains that cracked me up. They were for a labor company or executive search company. They all had the catch line, "Feel like a change of job?" One I recall showed 5 policemen standing shoulder to shoulder. The one in the middle was wearing white tights and doing a ballet stance. That series wasn't there earlier this year.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advertising in the UK...do you have any ads you love, hate...

Another one I found amusing:

A large sign (not as big as a billboard) at a petrol station near Lewes:

Tired of Indian?

Try the Cowboys.

Picture of a can of Stagg chili, "authentic Texas chili," with arrows stuck in it.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
346 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advertising in the UK...do you have any ads you love, hate...

Thanks so much. Your responses are exactly what I was looking for. I was also told that UK movie theaters have long-form commercials that are much more involved than pre-movie ads in US theaters. Can anyone comment on this? What are the ads for...things related to the movie or theater like snacks?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,618 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advertising in the UK...do you have any ads you love, hate...

I think henneth made a v good point - mini dramas or comedy sketches, sometimes so much so that you're not sure what they're selling. I have a soft spot for the Stella Artois advertisement with the young son and his pal home from battle, telling their story, then the father pouring his son a Stella and claiming the tap is empty for his friend - but father is standing on the line so no beer will pour - 'desolee'.

Canadian ads also tend to be little dramas, since the voice overs have to be in French as well as English, and the action has to carry the plot.

Less is so often more, but not in advertising.

london
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advertising in the UK...do you have any ads you love, hate...

A lot of ads here are beautifully filmed or very witty - they draw from trends in art, music and film. A lot of ad directors move into music video and film, eg Jonathan Glazer, who did the Guinness ad judged 'the best of all time'

www.thecustard.tv/linksandlists/100ads.html

as well as the Stella Artois ad mentioned, some Radiohead videos and the film Sexy Beast.

There's a clever ad at the moment for Firststrike child medicine, in which a toddler starts whining over something he wants in a supermarket, the mother immediately throws herself to the ground and has an enormous tantrum, then just gets up, gives him a look and leads the way to the till. The child is stunned and silent, and the catchline is "it's important to strike first".

I also like the Marmite ad "You either love it or hate it", which shows a man almost being physically sick because he kisses a girl who's just eaten Marmite.

Sydney
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advertising in the UK...do you have any ads you love, hate...

Re: cinema ads.

Most of the time there are trailers for films which are being released in the next month or so.

But there are cinema ads which are just longer versions of the ads which you normally see on TV. Sometimes though you do get very clever ads which are on the at the cinema, mainly because if its a 18 certificate film they can get away with a lot more, these ads are usually 1-2 mins long

Hope that helps