We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National rail strike Easter weekend

cheshire
Level Contributor
229 posts
1 review
Save Topic
National rail strike Easter weekend

Was just wondering if anyone has any more info about this, were mean't to be travelling on easter sat till tuesday on the train!

cheshire
Level Contributor
229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: National rail strike Easter weekend

Sorry its network rail on strike not national rail

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: National rail strike Easter weekend

Not sure why you would we think we would know more than the media but here is a report from the Daily Telegraph - telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-tr…

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
180 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: National rail strike Easter weekend

We have tickets via Chiltern Railway to Stratford Upon Avon on the 3rd. Would that line be affected?

Thank you.

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,161 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: National rail strike Easter weekend

As AH said.

but like most of us you would have just as much luck as us to check the updates on their website and watch/listen to the news/media.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
180 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: National rail strike Easter weekend

I'm sorry, but I don't understand which are network rail and which are national rail as it seems like there are several different lines. It's hard for those of us who don't like in the UK to sort out which are which. My real question would be, then, is Chiltern a network rail, and therefore suceptible to strike, or national rail?

Thank you.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: National rail strike Easter weekend

The way our railways are set up is indeed complicated and it might be easier for me to explain how to split the atom!

Some years ago our railway network was split up into several different train operating companies (TOC's) of which Chiltern is but one. Network Rail owns and operates the infrastructure and it is workers employed by that company and belonging to the RMT union who have announced they will be striking. This will in principle affect all TOC's.

More here that explains the set up - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Rail

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
180 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: National rail strike Easter weekend

Thank you, Adam Hornets. I will keep a close watch on the media as best I can from here to see about the strikes. If anyone has a suggestion for alternate transport to-from Stratford Upon Avon just in case it would be most welcome!

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: National rail strike Easter weekend

National Express coaches go from Victoria Coach Station to Stratford-upon-Avon. On Easter Saturday, there's a coach departing at 8am and arriving at 11:15am. Returns on the Tuesday take 3.5 hours, and depart at 12:20pm or 18:20.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
180 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: National rail strike Easter weekend

Will check that out. Thanks!

London
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: National rail strike Easter weekend

We have heard about this as well. We have booked our train tickets from London to Birmingham and hotel stay there but looks like we will now have ro cancel everything and sit back at home if the strike really happens