We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Railway tickets First Great Western/ Southwest/Southeastern

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
733 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Railway tickets First Great Western/ Southwest/Southeastern

I would like to know if you can purchase tickets for any of the railway lines at any railway station?

I was planning on using Fenchurch St for purchases but didn't know if you can only purchase certain lines at certain stations or all lines at any station.

Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Railway tickets First Great Western/ Southwest/Southeastern

<<I would like to know if you can purchase tickets for any of the railway lines at any railway station?>>

Yes you can.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Railway tickets First Great Western/ Southwest/Southeastern

Yes yo can.

But there may be no advantage in buying in advance on most short distance routes.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Railway tickets First Great Western/ Southwest/Southeastern

The only thing that I'd like to add is that some of the companies have their own special offers. It might be only possible to get them through their own ticket offices. But I don't know that for sure.

For example First Great Western

www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx…

and SouthWest trains

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/offers.aspx

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
733 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Railway tickets First Great Western/ Southwest/Southeastern

Thanks for your posts.

We are buying the Travelcards to access the tube and 2 for 1 offers. I know to buy it at a rail station.

We are going on day trips to Dover and Windsor and when I started to look into it I saw there are two different trains operating to Windsor. So I started to look at the pros and cons of which train to take to Windsor. The one from Paddington or Waterloo as we are staying in Trinity Square.

Waterloo took a little longer but was closer to us. Paddington is further to get started but upon returning we would be close by some sites we wanted to see.

Then I started to question if I had to go to a particular station to get tickets for that particular line.

Thanks to all of you for straightening that out.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Railway tickets First Great Western/ Southwest/Southeastern

There's a slight danger that if you buy the ticket at another station, you'll get sold the wrong type of ticket or charged the wrong price for it, as they won't be familiar with the norm for the other line.

Not a big danger - but it has happened to me on a couple of occasions.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
733 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Railway tickets First Great Western/ Southwest/Southeastern

Thanks dzug I will keep that in mind

7. Re: Railway tickets First Great Western/ Southwest/Southeastern

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2010, 06:17