We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Stonehenge/Bath/Windsor Tour

Jefferson City, MO
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Stonehenge/Bath/Windsor Tour

Hi, I am looking for a day trip tour from London on a Saturday in June that includes a sunrise tour up to the stones at Stonehenge followed by Bath and Windsor Castle in any order.

I have found this tour from Evan Evans but not with the sunrise at stonehenge. I have also found a tour that has stonehenge at sunrise and Winsor Castle but Oxford rather than Bath.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Stonehenge/Bath/Windsor Tour

It depends on what is more important to you - but you could do Bath on your own via the train.

Since you are going in June, I would expect that these tours are busy and full, but don't be suprised if your tour is cancelled and then "combined" with another tour! i have had that happen but not in the summer.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,886 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Stonehenge/Bath/Windsor Tour

Hi - Just checking you're looking for dates in the first half of June as there is no special access from the 17th to 30th June.

Have you considered hiring a car and doing it yourself?

Special access via English Heritage:

english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.878

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,886 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Stonehenge/Bath/Windsor Tour

Bother: I'd just finished editing, and it timed out on me.

What I wanted to add was:

I think you won't be able to do Windsor during normal opening hours unless you wish to backtrack after Stonehenge - but that is adding on an unnecessary 3 hours of travel to Windsor and down to Bath.

A logical route would be either: Stonehenge-Bath-Windsor; Windsor-Bath-Stonehenge or Windsor-Stonehenge-Bath. Have you considered doing an evening special access (7.30pm and 8.45pm in June) - you could then do Windsor in the morning (very rushed), then onto Bath for the afternoon, and then Stonehenge after everything else has closed...

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,860 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Stonehenge/Bath/Windsor Tour

If you want to get anything out of the day then two of these three, but not all - you will spend far too much of the day travelling.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Stonehenge/Bath/Windsor Tour

You do not need to visit Windsor on an organised tour - it is very easy to go there on your own by train (and probably cheaper too !).

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Stonehenge/Bath/Windsor Tour

From London, the only special access tours are Premium that do Stonehenge, Lacock and Bath or Anderson that do Stonehenge & Salisbury or Stonehenge and Avebury,

As others have alluded to, the week around the last week of June there is no special access due to the midsummer solstice. This in turn means the dates suronding are sold out much earlier. I suspect you are already too late to get on special access tour from London in June.

If you can get yourself out to Salisbury you could just about do this independently if you are successful in getting an offer of tickets from Stonehenge, but unless you hire a car forget Bath and Windsor.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with Stonehenge/Bath/Windsor Tour

Hi

I don't wish to dampen your enthusiasm, but you do realise that we have 16 hour days in June (so sunrise is just before 5am when the 1st access is "available")?

In any event the special access sessions are booking up fast (just looked at the website to check times) english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.878.

Assuming you can get access, I would recommend overnighting in Salisbury/nearby with a rental car and taking the opportunity to visit Avebury (or perhaps even the Stanton Drew stone circle near Bristol - you'll only have a few sheep to keep you company there - if you discount the stones in the pub beer garden!).

Do feel free to pop over to the Bath forum.

PS you can wander around the stones using google streetview these days if you can't wait to visit and want to see what they look like without hoards of tourists snapping away.

8. Re: Help with Stonehenge/Bath/Windsor Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2010, 05:18