We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cambridge or Oxford?

Ohio
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cambridge or Oxford?

I can't figure out which would make the best day trip for us. We have kids 7, 10 and 12. Is one more picturesque than the other? Is there more to do and see in one town vs. the other (especially inside...it looks like the weather will be rainy most of next week)? Also, will there be any activity at all on these campuses during Easter weekend?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,260 reviews
from US$126.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
457 reviews
from US$105.50*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,086 reviews
from US$149.70*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$301.60*
US$335.10
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,431 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cambridge or Oxford?

both have their good points, try the TA sites for each for local information on what is happening over the Easter holidays

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cambridge or Oxford?

Cambridge or Oxford? biggest question ever

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,431 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cambridge or Oxford?

just thought, don't know what traffic is like in Cambridge, but Oxford...don't take a car to town, use train to travel from London, or use park and ride

Westside
Level Contributor
1,762 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cambridge or Oxford?

If your kids like Harry Potter, in Osford there are places to visit that have been used as film locations

see here bbc.co.uk/oxford/…mainlocations.shtml

I also liked the deer Park at Magdalen college.

Not sure about Cambridge but Oxford is walkable and picturesque with some cool old streets - and you can get a lot done in a day

Manchester
Level Contributor
780 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cambridge or Oxford?

The two have a lot in common, though Oxford is a much larger city than Cambridge.

Of the two I think Cambridge probably has the edge for a day trip for three main reasons.

First, the Fitzwilliam Museum probably has the edge over the Ashmolean.

Secondly, the colleges that back onto the river in Cambridge have the stunning landscaping of Robert Myers - the area is simply known as The Backs - and makes a great backdrop for a punting trip whether you punt yourself or get a chauffeur punt. Kids will love punting, and the Cam beats the Thames and Cherwell in Oxford as a place to do it.

Finally, Cambridge has Kings College with its Chapel, possibly the finest gothic building in the UK and certainly a "must see". It still has the world's largest fan vault roof, and almost incidentally has one of Ruben's finest paintings (The Adoration of the Magi) that on its own would be the highlight of many an art gallery.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cambridge or Oxford?

Oxford is a bigger city, and there is more to do there. However, to me it just feels like any other city, with some colleges scattered around it. I much prefer Cambridge, and go there at least once a year.

Ohio
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cambridge or Oxford?

Great information and a tough choice for sure. They both sound wonderful. I'm personally leaning toward Cambridge, but have 3 Harry Potter fans who would love the sights at Oxford. Hmmm. what to do, what to do. Thanks for the help.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cambridge or Oxford?

I went to Cambridge and loved it. if you go,don't miss the chance to walk along the Backs,along the river. very pretty and a great place for photos. if you are so inclined,you could go punting.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
404 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cambridge or Oxford?

Would you spend a night there?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
860 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cambridge or Oxford?

I've been to Cambridge once, and twice to Oxford. I would say Oxford is slightly more crowded with tourists, as it is easier to reach from London. But in terms of beauty/attractiveness and history/architecture, they're equal.

You'll have fun wherever you go. But I think Oxford would be more interesting to your group, as your kids are Hatty Potter fans. Try to book the official Potter-themed Oxford walking tour

http://www.oxfordcity.co.uk/info/tours.html