We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Health Insurance

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
Level Contributor
152 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Health Insurance

Hi I am travelling around Europe using a travel insurance policy from HBF in Australia which will expire when I intend settling in London and getting a job. What does one do re health insurance once my travel insurance expires. Is it worth taking out a policy over there or can one get by withoout it?? Please advise what I should do - any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Regards Lyn

Groomsport, United...
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Health Insurance

you might find this site useful...will depend on your status

dh.gov.uk/en/…DH_074373

if all else fails there are private walk-in clinics and private doctors available (at a cost of course)

Manchester
Level Contributor
780 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Health Insurance

Australia is a bilateral healthcare country with the UK. This means if you are ordinarily resident in Australia you will qulaify for free hospital and emergency treatment and may qualify for free primary care treatment. When I visited Australia I obtained a Medicare Card. You shoudl check before leaving what proof will be expected in the UK (you are unlikely to be issued with an NHS number, and we do not have an equivalent to Medicare Cards).

If you settle in London and it becomes your normal residence then you will be entitled to free care after 3 months.It is residence and NOT insurance conributions that qualify you for free care in the UK.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
754 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Health Insurance

Australia & the UK have a reciprocal agreement regarding health care, so in theory you are covered by the NHS. However it's not like Australia where you can walk into any doctor's surgery. You need to register as a patient with a GP, and you can only register with a doctor with a certain catchment area. However I found that GPs are not obliged to take you as a patient, and all of the eligible surgeries refused to take me as a patient as their lists were full. In the end a family friend convinced their local GP to take me even though in theory I lived outside the catchment area. At the time I had a badly sprained wrist/arm which required treatment but wasn't an emergency.

Emergency treatment eg. in a hospital will be free.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Health Insurance

Have a look through the TNT mazine's advice on health matters

www.tntmagazine.com/movingtolondon/health/

In fact, look at it for all your queries because it's intended for people exactly like you!

Perth
Level Contributor
152 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Health Insurance

Hi thank you so much with all your helpful advice, it is much appreciated.

Happy Easter

Regards Lyn

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Health Insurance

> I had a badly sprained wrist/arm which required treatment but wasn't an emergency.<

As well as A&E, most parts of London now also have a hspital with a "Minor Injuries Unit" that would be an entry point to the system for that kind of ailment.

www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1090.aspx…

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Health Insurance

Hi Lyn,

Been there done that as I assume quite a few on here have. Drop me a PM with any detailed questions if you wish.

No point me say anything more about the Healthcare as everyone here has pretty much covered it for you.

Do you know where you will be moving to?

Brad

8. Re: Health Insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2010, 05:18