We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charming villages outside of London by train.

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sunny california
Level Contributor
49 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Charming villages outside of London by train.

Hi,

My husband and I will be arriving in London at the end of Oct. We will be there for about 5 days. In my dreams, I would love to find a small village to make as our home base and just take the train in to see London. I love walking around little villages and checking out tiny restaurants. Any ideas?

Thank you so much for your help!

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charming villages outside of London by train.

How long a commute are you prepared to accept? Anything that nice within easy distance of central London is likely to be very expensive in terms of accommodation, restaurants etc. I wouldn't want to do it for a short visit if my aim was to see London.

california
Level Contributor
792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Charming villages outside of London by train.

Ely. Nice village, on train line, close to Cambridge, great B&B on river.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charming villages outside of London by train.

You could spend 3 days in central London to save you travelling to and fro and 2 days in a village.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charming villages outside of London by train.

Ely is not a village by any stretch, it is (albeit small) a city. It is also about 80 miles from London, I thought the OP was looking for something more commutable, but I may be wrong.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,488 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Charming villages outside of London by train.

Ely may well be a village by American standards, but it is a city by British standards and hardly a typical small village, although I agree there's a great B & B by the river. The problem is that almost all small villages in England have lost their rail links and often have no public transport at all. I agree with the approach suggested by LondonDiva.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Charming villages outside of London by train.

I hate to be a pedant, but people might be interested to know that a place can't just call itself a city here. It must either have a Cathedral or a Royal 'patent' , and occasionally new cities are created e.g Brighton & Hove a few years back.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,821 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Charming villages outside of London by train.

Guildford, Surrey? Again, it's not a village but a town, but is only about half an hour from London, but it's an attractive town, with lots of villages to explore around it.

Trouble is, if you stay outside of London, you will have to wait until after, say, 9.30am to get cheaper train tickets to London, which doesn't give you a head start for getting around London attractions.

enjoyengland.com/destinations/…guildford.aspx

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,821 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Charming villages outside of London by train.

brittraveller31 - I hate to be a pedant to your pedantry, but having a cathedral does not a city make. Guildford is a case in point. My husband says conversely that Swansea is a city without a cathedral.

sunny california
Level Contributor
49 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Charming villages outside of London by train.

Thank you all for your advice! I am looking for a train ride that could be 30 minutes in to London. I live in Southern California,so a village could be a town:) I just really am looking for an easy train ride in to London, but I would like to stay in a small charming little hotel, somewhere quiet and quaint. Am I asking for too much? HA!

Thanks again~

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,126 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Charming villages outside of London by train.

Thirty minutes from central London by rail and you could still be in zone 6 rather than the small village or town you have in mind.

How about the Grove Hill Hotel in South Woodford? It's near enough Epping Forest to give you a bit of green space in the city but is on the Central line, a reasonably easy journey to and from central London.

Alternately, consider Tara's B&B in South Harrow, on the oppo side of London. A nice little place away from the madding crowds but again with good transport options to the city centre. www.taraslondonbandb.com