We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car park near to tube or train on the south or east side

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
35 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Car park near to tube or train on the south or east side

renting a car and driving to St Albans. We are going to drive to Surrey and are wondering if there is a car park somewhere on the south or east side where we can park on a saturday and use the tube or train to get into central london for a few hours. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car park near to tube or train on the south or east side

bumping

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car park near to tube or train on the south or east side

What day of they week? There's a fairly large car park at North Greenwich tube station, but it (like most such car parks) gets full by early in rush hour on week days.

However, I'm a bit confused - do you you really mean "east"? I'm unclear how that helps you for either St Albans (to the north of London) or anywhere in Surrey (to the south-west).

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car park near to tube or train on the south or east side

Most parts of Surrey have a good rail service into London, so it might be as easy to just get to the nearest station.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,319 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car park near to tube or train on the south or east side

Many of the commuter stations in Surrey have car parks which will be pretty empty at weekends.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car park near to tube or train on the south or east side

Sorry - just seen that you said Saturday. If you really do mean south-*east*, North Greenwich car park should have plenty of space, but do check that teh Jubilee line is running from North Greenwich to central London that weekend.

I suspect, tthough, that it's south-*west* you want, in which case a Surrey railway station seems liek the best idea.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,629 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car park near to tube or train on the south or east side

As the responses above - do you really mean East, or Surrey which is south or SW of London depending which part?

Most smaller stations in Surrey have reduced parking at weekends, but avoid the bigger centres like Woking with a nearby town centre as they can fill up with shoppers.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
35 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car park near to tube or train on the south or east side

Sorry.when thinking of London put East and you are right on I mean West side...Thanks for info

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
35 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car park near to tube or train on the south or east side

Thanks. Its Guilford where will be that evening so makes sense to go from there into London proper....

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,606 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car park near to tube or train on the south or east side

Assuming you plan to leave St Albans in the morning then yes, it would make sense to drive round the M25 and down the A3 to Guildford and then park before taking the train to Waterloo.

However I'm not sure what parking in Guildford is like on a Saturday morning. Hopefully one of the several regulars who live in that part of the world will spot this and comment.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,629 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car park near to tube or train on the south or east side

Guildford is a busy shopping town so parking on a Saturday is the same price as any other day. The best car park for the station is this one at £6.40 a day:

guildford.gov.uk/GuildfordWeb/Environment/Pa…

But there are fast trains to London every 15 minutes.

Woking has an even better train service and I think the long term car park is £3.