We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM cash withdrawal limit?

Bombay, India
Level Contributor
334 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
ATM cash withdrawal limit?

As soon as I land at Heathrow terminal 4, I need to withdraw cash from an ATM to pay as rent for the aprtment I've booked. Bringing cash from home is not only risky but the exchange rate is more expensive.

Would I be able to withdraw 1500 pounds? Or is there a lower limit (per day or per transaction)? I couldn't find any information about this on the Visa website.

Cambs
Level Contributor
628 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM cash withdrawal limit?

The limit is (I think) £300 per day - but am willing to be corrected as I rarely need to take out this sum in cash!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM cash withdrawal limit?

You'll almost certainly find your bank or the machines impose a limit, perhaps a low as £200/day and even if it doesn't you might find multiple withdrawals trigger the card being frozen for suspected fraud or theft !

In your shoes I'd take the hit on worse exchange rate and take the money with you, because whats the alternative if you cant get the money out, you have nowhere to stay !

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,981 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM cash withdrawal limit?

I'd be suspicious of somewhere that will only take cash for the rent......

Bombay, India
Level Contributor
334 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM cash withdrawal limit?

Thanks all, looks like I'd better bring sufficient cash with me.

Peterscot,

I found the apartment on VRBO, booked it by paying a 100 pound deposit through PayPal, and I have personally spoken to the renter on the phone on her mobile (number +44-77-72xx-xxxx). She also has a proper London landline number 044-20-72xx-xxxx.

The arrangement is that the landlord will provide me an airport pickup at Heathrow, drive me to the apartment, and I only pay the cash once I reach the apartment and am given the keys.

It appears to be all above board. What do you think?

Edited: 02 April 2010, 11:50
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,228 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM cash withdrawal limit?

What VRBO number? And where is the place and what are you paying for it?

I do admit it does seem a tadge "odd"

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,277 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM cash withdrawal limit?

You need to ask your bank what is your daily withdrawal limit, it has nothing much to do with the cash points, because if your limit is very high, you could always use several atms. But I agree,, it is strange to ask for cash.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,301 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM cash withdrawal limit?

This is ringing alarm bells. If a deposit was taken on a Paypal account why on earth wouldn't the balance be paid this way too. I would check out or change if it were me. Worth losing £100 if necessary. Do you have a reference for the accommodation?

London
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATM cash withdrawal limit?

Like Tilly41, I'd also say that you need to ask your ask. It is generally around 300. Your bank can tell you the exact limit.

Bombay, India
Level Contributor
334 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ATM cash withdrawal limit?

HELP!

This is really scary, folks, and ‘alarm bells’ is an understatement! My entire trip is in jeopardy if the flat rental turns out to be problematic!

I'd greatly appreciate whatever help any TALFER can provide in verifying its genuineness.

It's VRBO property number 270876 (http://www.vrbo.com/270876). The apartment address is 16 Livingstone Lodge, Carlton Gate Apartments, Admiral Walk, London W9 3TN.

The agreed rate is GBP 750 per week (for a two week stay from 7-14 May and 18-25 May), plus the GBP 100 (refundable) deposit that I've already paid. The rate is rather attractive for its location and for the fact that it has two bathrooms (which is important to me and was hard to find in 2BR flats).

The landlord is Grace London Rentals Ltd., 280 Hall Lane HA8 6RE, London; Tel/fax: 44 207 286 6372.

In one of my earlier posts, I’d asked about this flat - please see post no. 20 on this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k33189…

Two weeks after I made that that post, a forum member, Allyouneed from Vancouver, sent me a PM asking what I thought about the apartment, but since I was yet to stay, I couldn’t offer an opinion, and I asked him about his dates. He replied that his dates were May 2-9 for the 2 BR flat under the same VRBO listing!

This got me worried and I called Grace immediately. She assured me that there was no double booking, and that she actually had multiple flats under one listing just to save on listing costs. This incident suddenly takes on a different meaning now!

Folks, I’m not going to be able to sleep until this gets sorted out – again, please help! I have no other means of doing any fact-finding / verification.

I’d be happy to talk to any of the Des and can provide my phone number in Bombay via PM.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,486 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ATM cash withdrawal limit?

Acconding to UK Companies House

GRACE-LONDON RENTALS LTD

280 HALE LANE

EDGWARE

MIDDLESEX

HA8 8NQ

Company No. 06377902

was *dissolved* in September 2009. I cant' find a *Hall* Lane in HA6 8RE on google maps.

LONDON RENTALS LTD

33 FINCHLEY LANE

LONDON

NW4 1BX

Company No. 06962679

was incorporated in July 2009. Presumably not "London Rentals LTD established 10 years." according to that VRBO webpage.

Two 2-bed flats on Carlton Gate's own website are at £500 pw

http://www.carltongate.com/lettings.php

Not accepting Paypal is probably down to Paypal's fees but expecting people to carry £1500+ cash around is unrealistic and if this person owns or manages multiple properties they should really have a mobile debit card reader.